anybody ever see this happen ?

Hey Techies, my bud brought his desktop over tonight to solve a problem. W10 newer system, left it running and went out for a bit and when he got back had a black scree with one line of gibberish on the screen, so after pc 101 which I do with all cpmputer problems his 2 hd's were smoked. one was os 120gb ssd and one spinning wd 500gb. I pulled them out and connected to my systemand both showed up in disk management as there but unallocated space and different programs would not let me do anything with them.Now, wtf ???, w10 update, virus or what may have happened. First thing I tought was a power surge but he had a surge protector and said there were no power outages.Any one seen this before ?

Any info will be helpful as I don't want to put in a new ssd and have it happen again. also the drives would not load windows but an old hhd I had around loaded windows no prob with his drives disconnected.

Have you found the issue yet?

I seen this years ago. Someone down the road from me was illegally converting copyrighted  music videos into downloads,.. and I had no clue what they were doing,.. and one day I noticed alerts of blocked intruder on my desktop trying to hack into my rig, thought that was strange, later that day I noticed a black van parked down the street and it was sending an IP & MAC so I thought I'll ping him to let him know I see him,.. and instantly after ping my OS drive smoked,.. turns out it was a government van doing surveillance to catch dude stealing music videos down the road. So I wonder if your bud pinged a van unexpectedly not knowing it was the FBI. 

Thats some Philip K Dick right there Braegnok. Funny thing was the FBI was actually watching him. His notes about Vans being park down the street was in fact surveillance. I feel like his books would be dull without the paranoid writing.

I have bricked flash drives before spike. Same deal, shows up but you can't do anything with them. Solution was to use DOS and do a command-line format and partition.

uh, does yer buddy have any skills at all Spike ?? 

did he go and delete stuff without knowing wth he was doing ?? ... a reboot away from a total fail ???

No Brae, not the FBI, were in Canada , they only go after you guys in the U.S. ,

IR_cow, Tried dos and would only see the drive but would not format or show the partition .

cjloki> he was out when it happened and pc was up and working fine until he returned.

Only thing I can figure is for some reason when the os ssd died somehow it took the storage drive with it, the pc works fine with the old 120 gb hhd I put into it. I ran stress tests for 3 hours on it and no problems appeared, even put a multy tester on the psu while stressing and every thing checked out. The smoked origional ssd was a PNY brand, not sure if that had something to do with it but he's going to buy a new Kingston ssd and a 2tb wd for storage so hopefully it won't happen again.That darn PNY ssd was not even 2 years old !

• 8 months later...

ir_cow, sorry to resurrect this, but maybe relevant.

I had a Thermaltake 750 mhz PSU. It would not work with ASUS boards. But something else.

Couple years later, son lost his PSU. Put the Thermaltake in and fried his C drive. 2 other drives used to find problem Fried both of them as well. Ditched the PSU and bought 2 drives and a PSU for him. Lesson Learned.