1 reply to this topic

#1 Psywar

Psywar

Social Engineering at its finest.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6330 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:01 AM

Hey everyone,

So I found myself doing some entry-level sysadmin stuff at my new job.

I am currently on the struggle bus. The company I work for uses a service called Pingdom to reach out to our servers every now and then to see if they are up and running.

When it thinks they are not I will receive a text message telling me about this and that I should look into it.

Well every now and then a few of the servers are unreachable and I am probably just chasing my tail because I know this is bound to happen, but I would like to know what might be going on and why these issues are happening, but I don't really know where to begin.

I started looking at the IIS logs and I can see the Pingdom requests in the log files for the times that Pingdom is sending me a text saying the server was unreachable.

I am getting a couple errors back from Pingdom that say either HTTP Error 503 or 301 Moved Permenately. 

I would kind of like to track down the reason why if possible and see if there is a change I can make to have this occur less often. The servers/sites are of course not really down because a minute later I will get another text stating the servers are back online. 

If you have any ideas of where I could start that would be sweet.

Thanks, ya'll!

sigimage.php?un=Psywar&t=12772
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX 8350 (4.0GHz 16MB Cache 8-Core)
XFX R7970 Black Edition Video Card
Mushkin Enhanched 16GB RAM
PC Power and Cooling 610w PSU

#2 Psywar

Psywar

Social Engineering at its finest.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6330 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Got it figured out - I was looking at the IIS logs again and I think there is bad code somewhere. 
I was noticing every other request was a 301 request and it was the link was missing a "/". The 200 OK requests had the "/"

So everyone was being directed to a site that didn't exist but it was set up to redirect to the link with the "/" at the end which connected the user. 

I think the internet, in general, should auto do this, so I believe there is something in the code we are using that is messed up. 

If any of you are doing stuff like this I found a great program to use is called Fiddler it is freeware by a company called Telerik.
You need to make sure you enable Secure hyperlinks through to find stuff like this. 

sigimage.php?un=Psywar&t=12772
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX 8350 (4.0GHz 16MB Cache 8-Core)
XFX R7970 Black Edition Video Card
Mushkin Enhanched 16GB RAM
PC Power and Cooling 610w PSU