upgrade Gpu or monitor

jdm_freek

Okay so I I have found myself in quite the pickle. I could either purchase a new monitor or upgrade my graphics card my system is as followed

8600 k at 5ghz

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW hybrid

16 gigs of ddr4 3200

And my monitor is an Acer 24 in 1080p 75 hz led

I have about $400 play with. My question is do I buy a new g-sync monitor to complement my 1080 should i I sell my 1080 for $300 and by an RTX 2080

Edited by jdm_freek

I don't see a reason to get RTX 2080 without playing at 1440P or above. Yes you can play BF5 with ray-tracing @ 1080P, but that's only one game. I would get new monitor first. But $400 might not get your all the bells and whistles. I paid $650 for the Acer XB271HU.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004. I can't handle TN panel colors anymore. Its IPS or nothing for me. Which is part of the price.

I don't see a reason to get RTX 2080 without playing at 1440P or above. Yes you can play BF5 with ray-tracing @ 1080P, but that's only one game. I would get new monitor first. But $400 might not get your all the bells and whistles. I paid $650 for the Acer XB271HU.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004. I can't handle TN panel colors anymore. Its IPS or nothing for me. Which is part of the price.

I found a Dell s2716dg for $300 

also i am curious about the nvidia patch allowing freesync 

The NVIDIA drivers to support adaptive sync release on Tuesday and I would definitely expect a lot of people to test it, reviewers and consumers alike, so hopefully questions will be answered by then. Or at least the first round of questions and answers, depending on if there is a need for NVIDIA to work on the software-side.

My understanding is over the years AMD has put in some driver-side solutions to FreeSync monitor issues, in cases when the hardware implementation wasn't great, even though the issues were not AMD's fault. That is one advantage G-Sync had, because NVIDIA controlled the hardware implementation as well, but will the company now put in software fixes when needed outside the G-Sync family/outside of G-Sync validated monitors? (I've been seeing some people bring this up in relation to the demos NVIDIA had for non-validated monitors, as the issues shown might be exaggerated because the solutions are not in place.)