Slicks i7 build

slick2500

So I think i messed up when buying a cpu cooler. I don't think I'll be getting to high of an overclock with this cooler. Running Prime95 within the first few seconds the temp shot up as high as 89* on one core. Should have went with a 320 cooler  :wallbash:

I let Prime95 run for another 10 minutes are so and the temps dropped down to 65-70*, I need to mess with the fan profile a little so that the pump and fans are running a bit faster at idle.

So I think i messed up when buying a cpu cooler. I don't think I'll be getting to high of an overclock with this cooler. Running Prime95 within the first few seconds the temp shot up as high as 89* on one core. Should have went with a 320 cooler  :wallbash:

I let Prime95 run for another 10 minutes are so and the temps dropped down to 65-70*, I need to mess with the fan profile a little so that the pump and fans are running a bit faster at idle.

I feel your pain. My goal with my Lian li pc-011 DW is to build a very quiet build. For the time being I am stuck with a very poor performing XSPC EX360...... GRRR. not only does it not move heat out well it does even worse at flow rate.

I feel your pain. My goal with my Lian li pc-011 DW is to build a very quiet build. For the time being I am stuck with a very poor performing XSPC EX360...... GRRR. not only does it not move heat out well it does even worse at flow rate.

I think that temp spike had a lot to do with the fact that the water pump and the fans were only running at about 20-30% when Prime95 started. I let Prime95 run for another 10 min or so and the temps settled down to 65-70 and this was with AVX at default. 

So overclocking this is way different than overclocking the old AMD FX 6300, I have no idea what settings do what or what I need to adjust to overclock. I tried this i7 9700k guide https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/9qvb2y/my_9700k_aint_boosting_to_49ghz/e8c2fcb/?st=jnnlbfy6&sh=c77f4c38 but couldn't get my system to boot at 5.0ghz, at 4.9ghz I could boot but as soon as I put a load on the cpu my system froze. Not a lot of info for this board at the moment need to search more in detail what the specific settings do.

Edited by slick2500

So far I have a multiplier of 50, avx offset 2, LLC 2 and 1.375 vcore passed a 1 hour stress test on Realbench. I hit a max temp of 91* with a max average of 79* according to HWINFO. 

Started another run for another hour.

G9ZnS7L.jpg

Edited by slick2500

Nice overclock Slick,.. that's a tough board to get a stable OC on, if your running XMP check your memory Vcore and VCCSA voltage. I read a few reviews of that board with i9-9900K, the reviewers had a tough go getting 4.9GHz stable due to VRM issues, and they had issues with XMP overvolting.  :cheers:

Nice overclock Slick,.. that's a tough board to get a stable OC on, if your running XMP check your memory Vcore and VCCSA voltage. I read a few reviews of that board with i9-9900K, the reviewers had a tough go getting 4.9GHz stable due to VRM issues, and they had issues with XMP overvolting.  :cheers:

Yeah, 5ghz crashed about 15 minutes into Pirme95. So far I am stable at 4.8ghz though. Should have done some more research on a board before I made my purchase. Might see if I can return this one and get a different one.

Always a good idea to do extensive research if your planing on overclocking, before buying hardware for a new build. 

It's difficult to stay in the sub-$200 range when buying an overclocking/gaming motherboard, but their are a few exceptions.    https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_mpg_z390_gaming_edge_ac/

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

I like it. Might have to move the power cable for the video card though. Gotta be able to see that 2080 logo.

7d7Wmrtl.jpg

now that is a fine looking piece of equipment sir !

Job well done  :thumbsup:

Always a good idea to do extensive research if your planing on overclocking, before buying hardware for a new build. 

It's difficult to stay in the sub-$200 range when buying an overclocking/gaming motherboard, but their are a few exceptions.    https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_mpg_z390_gaming_edge_ac/

That's a good deal compared to the board I was looking at.