Case [Rant]

Just bemused and venting......................

So as some may know, I was able to upgrade my gaming PC over the Christmas holiday.  And of course that got me thinking about finding a new case to replace my long-in-the-tooth Corsair C70.

The situation resulting in this bemusement and ensuring vent  (much of it of my own doing because I haven't been paying attention to cases in the last few years) is the difficulty finding a large selection of water-cooling able mid or full size towers that have 3 or more 5.25" drive bays.  I know, I know.......... 5.25" drives are going the way of the spotted red-beaked recluse sparrow, but I also have an XSPC dual bay reservoir that needs a suitable home when I move into a new case.

In about 72 hours of searching I've identified six cases that are readily available and match my criteria.  So in what decade did case designers decide that we no longer wanted or needed multiple 5.25" drive bays in a case that also supported some sort of internal radiator installation?

I kind of know what you mean. Don't have to worry about a reservoir, but it is interesting how some aspects of case design are going, like having solid panels in front of fans and this disappearance of 5.25 in bays. I probably only need one 5.25 bay, as I have an internal ODD for my desktop and will probably always want to have one, but it can still be nice to just have the empty space in the cage for place things. To make my life a bit easier, I got a fan hub so I could connect case fans to it instead of trying to find the headers on the motherboard if I want to move or change them, or add more fans. Could adhere the Velcro straps to actually mount it in the case, but instead I just have it sitting in the open part of the cage so I can easily grab it or even move it to a future case.

Now I'm wondering if there are any cases with removable 5.25 cages, so you could have them there if you want/need them or take them out if you want to stick a fan or radiator there. We can do that with 3.5 cages, so would it be possible?

this is what i have under the table now, it's my bloodbath case replacement, but i haven't changed the signature on OCC yet,...so but it has a few 5.25 bays and huge amounts of room inside, and by the way i think this is the quietest case i have ever pawned ... check this out wevs

ok I changed the sig

Edited by cjloki

If I could find one it would be high on my list  :)   I've got the 750D on the short list, but I haven't been able to find the 800 in stock anywhere.

this is what i have under the table now, it's my bloodbath case replacement, but i haven't changed the signature on OCC yet,...so but it has a few 5.25 bays and huge amounts of room inside, and by the way i think this is the quietest case i have ever pawned ... check this out wevs

I will keep my eyes open wev. Selecting a case is hard. And we being who we are makes it that much harder because what is cool with the industry isn't always the answer. Hate to say it. But when we see it its either hated, liked or we fall in love with the dang thing and we get it.

However the ethoon line has always been, and likely will be, something to Marvel and contend with. I just got really lucky when I layer eyes on the 011 dynamic. Lucky. But I expect full tower cooling capability....... Challenge accepted.

Edit:

Hey Wevspot!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854005&Description=phanteks&cm_re=phanteks-_-11-854-005-_-Product

I will keep my eyes open wev. Selecting a case is hard. And we being who we are makes it that much harder because what is cool with the industry isn't always the answer. Hate to say it. But when we see it its either hated, liked or we fall in love with the dang thing and we get it.

However the ethoon line has always been, and likely will be, something to Marvel and contend with. I just got really lucky when I layer eyes on the 011 dynamic. Lucky. But I expect full tower cooling capability....... Challenge accepted.

Edit:

Hey Wevspot!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854005&Description=phanteks&cm_re=phanteks-_-11-854-005-_-Product

Got that one on my short list too  :)