Clean the water loop

Cespenar

Hey people, Hope you had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Now to the important stuff.

I have not changed my water for a while. It has a bit of moving things when I shine a torch through the container.

*No it is not fish*

Last time I changed the water, I did not use a cleaner.

In Australia we have something called CLR. None at mo so can't tell you the ingredients.

It is for getting rid of rust, copper stuff, cleaning many different things. Even could be used in the coffee machine. (Don't tell my wife)

If you guys have this in USA have you used it to clean a water loop?  If not, do you use some sort of cleaner.

Actually you might be able to look up CLR on the internet to learn something about it.

Appreciate some input. Regards from Mike.

I would not recommend using CLR on your cooling loop,.. I only run copper so I use 10% white vinegar & distilled water, after cleaning flush the system then rinse with distilled water. If you run nickel plated copper do not use vinegar, or any aggressive chemicals or you will damage the plating,.. just flush system with warm distilled water, you can use soft non-abrasive polish on your plated blocks to remove hardened deposits, then rinse with distilled water.

I have used CLR to clean water heating coils in high temp dish sanitize machines, and water heaters,.. works good for removing calcium buildup on the coils,.. hence the name it removes Calcium, Lime, and Rust.     

Edited by Braegnok

Sense I started using automotive AF haven't had an issue. But straight automotive AF will clean it up and not cause your system to corrode. Also dawn dish soap and a toothbrush if you don't want to use antifreeze

And depending on whats in there or clogging things up you can Drain the loop and run 50/50 through it to clean things up. Its going to eat whatever crud is in there for breakfast and or at least loosen it so they are simply floating particles. I attempted this when my loop got clogged up and it was easily the simplest way to do it. You of course have to take apart the loop to remove the particulates. But it takes all things off whatever metal is in there. 

i have been guilty of not cleaning my loop and it doesn't turn out well i assure you,... my friends were using a silver solution at the time and had few if any issues (don't ask me google it) but i had zerex antifreeze automotive in mine and it only lasted about 3-4 months, so there ya go...

these guys on here are great sources of info for the asking ! 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2553217/water-cooling-silver-kill-coils.html

Edited by cjloki

Been using CLR for years (yes we have it here in Canada as well as Oz)....great stuff.

- Only for rinsing the inside of your rads.

- Dilute with extremely hot water, fill rads and shake rattle n roll for several minutes.

- Dump it out and repeat 3 or 4 times.

- Rinse rads thoroughly with fresh tap water.

- Final rinse a few times with distilled water.

- stand rads up on end (on order to drain) and let em drain / dry for a day or so.

For GPU Blocks I recommend disassembling (disassemble blocks and throughly clean..toothbrush to get in the grooves under jet plates works great).

Disassemble pump n rez...clean thoroughly...use whatever works best....just rinse throroughly with distilled prior to filling.

Replace Tubing (may as well you had it apart...

Im super lazy....longest I went was 26 or 28 months with out cleaning my loop....had "mushroom looking anenomies" growing in my Rez lol....still had great temps though ;) ....shortly after that though some gunk made it into one of my 1080Ti EK Blocks and temps shot up....time to clean hahaha

I find some folks are wayyyyy to anal with there loops.....there not delicate eggs and are extremely forgiving / robust (when put together right)

I'll get my rig in my sig soon...

Presently

MXIE w 9900K and EK Supremacy

32G Dom Platinum 3200

2 x 1080Ti w FC EKWB.

SSD's - Samsung M.2 and 860 Pros

XSPC Photon 140 Rez w Vario Pump

RX 480 * 360 * 240 Rads

900D

i have been guilty of not cleaning my loop and it doesn't turn out well i assure you,... my friends were using a silver solution at the time and had few if any issues (don't ask me google it) but i had zerex antifreeze automotive in mine and it only lasted about 3-4 months, so there ya go...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2553217/water-cooling-silver-kill-coils.html

You had AF clog up...... Wow cjloki, tell me more man. Any idea what happened?

I know I ran into an isse when i switch from pt nuke to AF but that was determined to be existing crud that I didn't get cleaned out properly. Turned out the blocks were cleaned out but the CPU block received and clogged itself with all the just that was left over.

Talk to me goose!!! I must know.

Hey Mike (OP) ....couple of other little tips...

- When flushing your Rads and on your final rinses pour the water from the Rads through a filter (coffee works best) and look in there for bits n pieces...if none all is good.

- If flushing (although im not a fan of fushing...may as well disassemble so you can take the GPU and CPU Blocks apart to properly clean the fins..make up a fitting for your Rez with a "transition" that will fit a standard Garden hose...hook up to your Rez...open your drain valve and "flush" for a awhile ...fill up a bucket or whatever.....obviously watch how much pressure to put to it...

On another note....for the other folks here..any idea when I can get a Signature up ?

cheers .....

Edited by rjbarker64

You had AF clog up...... Wow cjloki, tell me more man. Any idea what happened?

I know I ran into an isse when i switch from pt nuke to AF but that was determined to be existing crud that I didn't get cleaned out properly. Turned out the blocks were cleaned out but the CPU block received and clogged itself with all the just that was left over.

Talk to me goose!!! I must know.

yah i went on the road for a couple of months and it sat and sat and sat some more, and then some more, and then i came home and ran it without checking it... like algae and micro-bio crap was growing in it...

eventually my temps started to go up and i had to disassemble it all and flush it... i pretty much gave up on my h2o loop and went with the corsair systems... i sold the 3x120 rad to somebody on here for not much $$ and i got a message that they had a hell of a time getting it cleaned out, but eventually it went on to live again ... so there ya go boinkie !  

btw that  was zerex 50/50 mixed with distilled water my reservoir was a one gallon aquarium converted for the purpose

Edited by cjloki
  • Like 1

^^^^ I work on a ship and go "away to sea" for up to 3 months at a time (System sits).....I used to use Fesser 1....as said had mushroom / anemonies growing in my Rez....but that was after almost 26 months...the last 2 yrs been going with EK Cryo Fuel Concentrate (clear only)...but mix it 1: 7 instead of 1:9.....Loop stays nice n clean...no problem going 18 months.....my loop is close to 2L ....

• Like 1