Ya'll Won't Believe It

wevsspot

So last month I was looking through my old purchase receipts and realized how long it's been since I've built a new gaming rig for myself.  Well that was May of 2013 to be exact.  Yeppers, 5 1/2 years since I've done a full ground up build.  Over time I've updated my video card and couldn't resist the temptation to try a couple of the WD SSD drives when they were released, but other than that my system has been pretty static.

So I started piecing together some used gear that I've picked up locally, online and at another forum and have come up with the following;

Current rig is listed in my sig.

New build upcoming over the holidays;

Motherboard

Gigabyte Z370 Auro Gaming 7

Processor

Intel Core i5-8600K

Video Card

MSI GTX 980Ti

Hard Drive

HP EX920 NVMe PCIe 512Gb

Hopefully this one will be as trouble free, reliable and durable as my current build.  Here's to me crossing my fingers..........

Gigabyte lies about their VRM design on a few  Z270-370-390 motherboards. Check to make sure that one isn't a fake 8 Phase (4+4) instead of a true 8 Phase VRM Design. It can make a difference for overclocking.

I saw the title and thought, "Challenge Accepted!" I completely believe it.

Actually the time between my two ground up builds was seven years, but the 'ground up' qualification is important there. I carried over a fair amount from my first build in 2009 to the A10 5800K, but could not do that for the Threadripper build (except for storage, and that I did bring along). I also don't fully want to count the A10 5800K build because it, the board, and I believe the RAM were all provided, but both my first build and my Threadripper system I selected and purchased every part for.

My last full build was a FM1 A8-3850 as a daily. Gaming rig is still the AMD 1075t-6 core with a HD5830.  I think I'm due for an upgrade but I doubt it will be this year. I want to try a new AMD Ryzen CPU and depending how the year and the house goes.... LOL

My signature has my new new build in it. The xmas prize lasted 8+ years with only 2 gpu swaps and a memory kit. it was time. But I do need to also second the comment about Gigabyte's VRM. I went with MSI's b450 board cause their VRM's are solid and quite capable, at least on this board.

Hey wevs, bowtie, long time no see. I would say save up for the 8700K, if you can. I recently went from a 3770K to an 8600K and I definitely regret not springing for just a little more money for double the threads.

I stopped using Gigabyte after a few DOAs, been using Asus exclusively since, no issues (besides that the Aura software sucks)

Edited by ReelFiles
  • Like 1