• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clausm

clausm

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:41 AM

Hello

I have recently bought this CPU and honestly I use it primarily for games that do not leverage multiple cores. (BF-V and racing simulators).

Whenever I read about overclocking, it seems that the target is to overclock the overall frequency at which all cores are active.

Is there a way to overclock while maintaining the normal profile of frequency dropping as more cores are activated? I have more interest in e.g. 5,5 Ghz single or dual-core performance than anything beyond standard on more cores.

Thanks,

Claus

#2 ir_cow

ir_cow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6341 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:36 AM

Your CPU already does that. I think the 9900K Turbos to 5ghz one 1 core. In some motherboards BIOS you can control each cores multiplier. Usually people just leave it at "All Cores" for overclocking. BTW its very unlikely you will get 5.5ghz without some serious voltage, 5ghz is kinda the soft limit, though you are only trying to do this on one core.

IR Twitter / OCC YouTube Channel / NVIDIA 1070Ti OC Guide

OCC Best AMD Motherboard Picks 2018 / OCC Best Mid ATX Computer Cases 2018

Main Rig: Threadripper 1920X, GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX, NVIDIA RTX 2080, Intel 730(s) 480GB, 32GB [email protected], Seasonic 1000w Plat.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), Thermaltake 750w.

#3 SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:33 AM

Good luck cooling that :C

#4 wevsspot

wevsspot

I'm trying to be helpful.... really I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 AM

Your CPU already does that. I think the 9900K Turbos to 5ghz one 1 core. In some motherboards BIOS you can control each cores multiplier. Usually people just leave it at "All Cores" for overclocking. BTW its very unlikely you will get 5.5ghz without some serious voltage, 5ghz is kinda the soft limit, though you are only trying to do this on one core.

Hey buddy, I'm diving into some 8th or possibly 9th generation Intel overclocking as well over the holiday break.  Couldn't the OP use some combination of uncore multiplier and AVX offset to achieve the desire results?  Depending on the motherboard of course.  I've been focusing on the Gigabte Z370/Z390 boards specifically, but after reading a lot (and I mean a ton) it appears that users shooting for high end overclocks are running their uncore at 42 - 45 and using an AVX offset of -2 or thereabouts.

31765372778_b7d6ff5f2a_o.jpg

#5 wevsspot

wevsspot

I'm trying to be helpful.... really I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Good luck cooling that :C

Yes, and good luck cooling that :)

8c / 12t at 5Ghz stock Turbo boost.................  That's got to get pretty toasty even with the new soldered heat sink design.

31765372778_b7d6ff5f2a_o.jpg

#6 ir_cow

ir_cow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6341 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Hey buddy, I'm diving into some 8th or possibly 9th generation Intel overclocking as well over the holiday break.  Couldn't the OP use some combination of uncore multiplier and AVX offset to achieve the desire results?  Depending on the motherboard of course.  I've been focusing on the Gigabte Z370/Z390 boards specifically, but after reading a lot (and I mean a ton) it appears that users shooting for high end overclocks are running their uncore at 42 - 45 and using an AVX offset of -2 or thereabouts.

With any overclocking for Intel I think its good to keep the Uncore in mind. Most overclockers don't even know it exists and leaves it at stock. You can keep it asynchronous or Synchornous. Usually the Uncore (Ring Cache) tops out well before the CPU Ratio, but it cant be like 10x lower 5x lower or high, or it will just crash the computer. I sure some things have changed since the Haswell days when I did a OC guide on it. Like BLCK is not longer tied to the PCIe, so that is a option now for overclocking.

IR Twitter / OCC YouTube Channel / NVIDIA 1070Ti OC Guide

OCC Best AMD Motherboard Picks 2018 / OCC Best Mid ATX Computer Cases 2018

Main Rig: Threadripper 1920X, GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX, NVIDIA RTX 2080, Intel 730(s) 480GB, 32GB [email protected], Seasonic 1000w Plat.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), Thermaltake 750w.