problem holding clk speeds

I cant get my new comp. to hold the clk speed I set i bios. Manual, sync all cores and set to 52 for a 5.2 gig speed. when I start its at 5.2 but later it drops to a much lower speed. 800mhz.

I cant figure out why it will not hold the 5.2mhz speed. I have the most current bios 1602. If set at 52 and sync all cores it should stay where I set it. Any suggestions ?

Edited by dling

It's normal for clock speed to drop if processor is not under load it will lower to save energy, with Windows power setting @ default Balanced plan,.. with set on High Performance you will run at your BIOS setting 24/7 regardless of load.

Another thing that will lower clock speed would be your off-set for AVX, processor will throttle down cores/threads when running heavy AVX workloads like Prime95 depending on your BIOS setting. 

Edited by Braegnok

It's normal for clock speed to drop if processor is not under load it will lower to save energy, with Windows power setting @ default Balanced plan,.. with set on High Performance you will run at your BIOS setting 24/7 regardless of load.

Another thing that will lower clock speed would be your off-set for AVX, processor will throttle down cores/threads when running heavy AVX workloads like Prime95 depending on your BIOS setting. 

While I suspect this is an Intel CPU (is it the 8086K in the signature?) I know with at least the Ryzen CPUs from AMD the clock speeds will still change, even with Windows' High Performance power plan. As I recall, this is the chip itself managing its states to reduce power usage when not needed. (A special Balanced power plan needed to be made then because of conflicts between the chip and Windows both trying to switch states, with the chip being able to do so much faster.)

Unsure if Intel processors have a similar capability, but unless the chip is throttling due to temperatures, variability in speed should not be an issue, but also nothing is wrong with using the High Performance plan.

This guide I posted in your New Build thread for Asus Maximus X and 8700K will give you the baseline settings in BIOS,..

you can use same BIOS settings for your 8086K. Only thing that will need adjusted is Vcore, as your 8086K requires much less Vcore for same clocks compared to the 8700K. 

Edited by Braegnok

It is an intel cpu. I hope that you guy are correct. Seems that my last motherboard I was able to keep my i7 5820k running at 4.5gig 24/7 without doing anything in windows. I may be wrong but that how I remember it.

I know for a fact Windows Power Options effect the Z370 chipset CPU Speed during idle/load.  

You can open CPUZ software, and watch your processor speed change from 800MHz up to 5,2GHz while you switch Windows Power Option from Balanced to High performance with Z370 chipset. 

Not sure if Windows Power Options effect Intel X99 or AMD chipset during idle/load.  :dunno:

Edited by Braegnok

Seems to be staying at 5.2 after following the video. Thanks. Tomorrow delidding will happen.

Is arctic silver still considered one of the best thermal paste's? Not for the cpu, I have the liquid metal for that.  But for the

cpu heat sink paste.

I'v been using Thermal Grizzly lately,.. I'v used the the arctic silver 5, arctic MX-4 years ago and never had any issues with it,.. you should be fine with what ever you have on hand, there's not much difference if it's applied correctly and your waterblock/heatsink is tightened correctly.  :cheers: