New build

Im looking at a new build. Torn between the i7 8700k vs the i7 8086k. The 8086 has faster clock speeds but i dont know how well it will OC. Any thoughts on the better cpu would be great. Thanks.

Better bin number chip = higher overclocking with less Vcore applied than mainstream chip.  :D

Most delidded 8700K chips need 1.35V for 5.0GHz on all six cores stable,.. and the 8086K will do 5.0GHz on all six cores with 1.25V. So if you can snag an 8086K for $50 dollars more, and plan on overclocking it's not a bad deal.  :cheers:

I would go with the Maximus board,.. for the fan headers, dedicated water cooling headers, and faster memory support.

You more than likely will need to flash BIOS for the 8086K,.. the factory first edition BIOS does not seem to support that chip. 

Edited by Braegnok

With any Asus ROG board you can.  :thumbsup:  

Use the Asus EZ Flash Utility and a USB 2.0 flash drive under 8GB, formatted in fat32, and latest BIOS for i7-8086K.  Rename extracted ROM  file on USB drive to M10HWIFI.CAP.  

The 1602 BIOS version will also work for upgrading to the new Beast i9-9900K on Z370 chipset boards.

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks. I plan on picking the cpu and the M/B up this Friday. Also looking at delidding the proc. Ive never done it before but I want max OCing . Seems to be the way to go.;)

This is new new build. ;  Maximus X Hero M/B, I7 8086k  ,Corsair Vengeance LPX  DDR 4 @16gig 3600mhz with Corsair H100i V2 AIO cooler.

post-6219-0-00157300-1535804123_thumb.jpg

Edited by dling