Specifications for 32 Core Gen 2 Threadripper CPU Possibly Leaked

Guest_Jim_*

I still maintain that I am very happy with my AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and do not need to upgrade, but if these rumored specifications are accurate, the temptation to start saving for an upgrade is growing. At Computex 2018, just two weeks ago, AMD showed off an upcoming 32-core/64-thread Threadripper CPU, and according to Anandtech the engineering sample demonstrated had a base frequency of 3.0 GHz and a Turbo of 3.4 GHz. Now, according to HKEPC, this part, which will supposedly be named the Threadripper 2990X, has a base clock of 3.4 GHz and a boost clock of 4.0 GHz across all cores, and 4.20 GHz for fewer cores. These numbers are based on a B2 stepping chip that HKEPC saw tested.

Under a Corsair H150i Pro AIO liquid cooler though, the chip supposedly reached 4.12 GHz across its cores with a voltage of 1.38 V, achieving a score of 6399 in Cinebench R15. That is pretty close to the 7334 score Intel achieved with its 28-core/56-thread CPU overclocked to 5 GHz at the conference. The Threadripper part, however, achieved its score without a one horsepower water chiller and while we do not know how much power it was pulling, I suspect it was less than the 1000 W the Intel processor was potentially drawing.

These numbers are definitely rumor currently, and could end up inaccurate, but it is still fun to imagine 64 threads going at 4 GHz, right? I wonder what a 2950X (what I presume would be the second generation 16-core/32-thread part) would be clocked at?

Source: WCCFtech

Back to original news post