Wireless Usb

I bought a linksys 802.11b wireless network thing. i dont have highspeed. but i am getting connected on a high speed connection. i wwas wondering if there was any way i could route the connection. he is a link for the usb thingThe usb thingy

i am not sure . i dont pay for high speed. but when i installed the usb thing it said pick a connection. linksys or smc? i chose linksys and now i have a high speed connedtion i dont know what kind . i know it is high speed cause i am gettin downloads on shareazza goin like 210kb a sec. i have no idea where it is coming from or what kind it is. i just know that now i hhave one . ;)

and thanks alot general.

i didnt think any one was gonna reply

Steve

**moves to premetheus's house

You my friend, are lucky enough to have a nearby neighbour who does in-fact have a highspeed connection and are connecting to it.... Judging by the speed it sounds like a high end ADSL but I could be wrong... I don't really think it is fair to route this thing further than you already have it... Like you said, you don't pay for it (though that neighbour of yours does). All I will say is to make sure you can configure your USB device "correctly" and that what you are proposing IS possible...

Remember, there is someone with enough knowledge to hook up a wireless connection in his house (or apartment). Let's just hope he doesn't have enough knowledge to figure out that your on his network. If he finds out, consider your connection GONE!

Rob

its illegeal? By golly mr. police officer i had no idea what idea i was doing. the internet what is that? :P:P:ph34r: .i can see my future. i am not worried cause my friend that i bought it from lives two houses away. and he has a linksys wireless router. so i think that is where i am getting the connection from. and he wont care(cause he'll never knoe) jk/jk. but that is cool if i cant route them. i am getting it for free. i mean the internet. what is that?

:ph34r:

it could just be a hotspot too. These are free connections that are freely distrubted by people who pay the bill. But they freely distribute the wealth.

Uh huh, and I heard Thoroughbred-B processors are supposed to rain over New Zealand later on today... :P Come on General, who the hell is gonna knowingly leave an open connection without telling everyone in the neighborhood, let alone pay for it for others to hog unless it's a public hotspot (I doubt you'll find one in a residential area). Though if you're right, I'm gonna start stocking up on Pringles cans ;)

Well my two neighbors don't pay for cable, mines shared among our 3 houses now... I have the SSID cloaked and 64 bit wep but I like to let others use it... 3mbps is pretty good for internet surfing and since I have both neighbors paying me $20 a month for it, I pay about $6 a month for cable internet. :D They aren't ever on and I never see a slow down...

Also, try accessing the router, you can see the connected devices that way and make sure who's router you are connecting through...

oh dignan, thats even worse. I hope your isp never finds out your charging people and sharing your connection. That is illegal as well.

Ah well, good luck, hope they never find out.

I hope your neighbors dont use kazaa either, if they get caught, guess who gets the summons? thats right, you.

oh dignan, thats even worse. I hope your isp never finds out your charging people and sharing your connection. That is illegal as well.

Ah well, good luck, hope they never find out.

I hope your neighbors dont use kazaa either, if they get caught, guess who gets the summons? thats right, you.

You better believe it, thats why all my music comes from open wi fi routers there are like 10 in my neighborhood I do not mess with the close ones I drive off a few miles you would not believe how many people leave there wi fis open man its unbeleivable, of course the 15 dbi omni and 12 dbi yagi and 1 watt amp help a lot to, I have a 24 dbi grid on my house with a rotater and amp I can pick up people a good 10 miles away