buy 1080 now or wait for next cards from nvidia?

Hi all
i am building a new PC but as i have been out of the loop in PC building for a few years now im just wondering if people think its worth waiting for the next gen from Nvidia rather then getting the GTX 1080 now?
im happy to wait around 6 months or so.

also a side Question,
is AMD worth looking at on the level of the 1080?

I think waiting for what comes next might be a good idea. Maybe prices will be more reasonable by then, but also I would think the next series will be at least announced in the coming months. If Metro Exodus is going to have the recently announced NVIDIA RTX in it, which requires Volta or whatever succeeds it, then we will need Volta or newer consumer graphics cards by then. I haven't a clue when these products might be announced, but I would think it is coming. Of course buying an older, less powerful, and/or less expensive GPU until then is viable too, and without knowing what you want out of the new computer, maybe that graphics card will also do everything you need too.

As far as looking at AMD, personally I am very happy with my Vega 64. Some benchmarks might put it behind the GTX 1080 , and some put it ahead, but whatever the difference is, it still performs very well and I like the array of options and settings it offers. I enjoy going into the drivers and tweaking things, and the AMD drivers are much easier to do that with than the NVIDIA ones. Plus you can manage overclocking and undervolting from the drivers too. If you just want something to plug-in and with the only maintenance being driver updates though, than those points are relevant.

Of course even if you want an AMD GPU, the issue is they are hard to find in stock and retailers are marking them up due to high demand. NVIDIA cards have the same problem, but AMD is being hit harder because they are more desirable to crypto miners. Really it is basically a 'get what you can' situation, if you want or need something now. That might improve in the future for a number of reasons, but we have to wait and see (and then maybe watch the used market).

Hi all

i am building a new PC but as i have been out of the loop in PC building for a few years now im just wondering if people think its worth waiting for the next gen from Nvidia rather then getting the GTX 1080 now?

also a side Question,

If your going to be gaming on your new PC,.. Radeon RX Vega with High Bandwidth Cache is definitely worth looking at,.. modern open world games today have been optimized for AMD cards, and running these games at ultra settings the RX Vega does very well.

Hi all

also a side Question,

If your going to be gaming on your new PC,.. Radeon RX Vega with High Bandwidth Cache is definitely worth looking at,.. modern open world games today have been optimized for AMD cards, and running these games at ultra settings the RX Vega does very well.

ya but for the price vega is not worth it. a 1080 can be bought for $650 where a vega goes for $700+ and a 1080 is faster by around 8%

Hi all

also a side Question,

ya but for the price vega is not worth it. a 1080 can be bought for $650 where a vega goes for $700+ and a 1080 is faster by around 8%

And the GTX 1080 has way less power consumption compared to the Vega's gpu's. 

And the GTX 1080 has way less power consumption compared to the Vega's gpu's.

There are also power saving features you can use in the AMD drivers and the potential for undervolting saving even more. Plus it always comes down to the use case. A number of modern games, with Far Cry 5 being the most recent, run significantly better on Vega (56 and 64) than the GTX 1080. Depending on if we continue to see games optimized like that, Vega may have a longer life and Pascal.

For both old and new games though, both Vega GPUs and the GTX 1080 are more than you need for modern titles at 1920x1080 at 60 FPS. They are both plenty capable at 1440p, though I do not have that personal experience. Unless you need even higher resolutions or higher frame rates, where you are pushing into GTX 1080 Ti territory, the end user will likely not see much of a performance difference.

All of that is only considering the GPUs themselves. I am not commenting on the pricing because that is a messy, complicating layer on top of it all, and it is in flux currently. At MSRP, the Vegas are somewhat overpriced for the performance seen at launch (drivers, patches, and new games change things), but right now it doesn't matter if it were to drop because they would still sell at the inflated prices. Maybe through drivers (AMD is still working on rebuilding the driver stack which may then enable some features broadly that currently require devs to program for them) and better optimization we will see Vega come to deserve that original MSRP though. At least the Vega 64; a lot of people find the Vega 56 to have been very good for its price. (It did push NVIDIA to put together the 1070 Ti after all, so it was considered a threat.)