need advice for video card @ 2560 x 1440

nice_shoes

I haven't kept up-to-speed on computer builds for quite a while, and I can really use some help. I upgraded my mobo, cpu and memory a couple years ago, but retained my old 9600 GSO video card. Recently, I downloaded a trial version of Fallout 4 (from Steam) and it would not run on my system........pretty sure the video card is not sufficient to allow the game to run.

So, I'd like to upgrade to something that will run games on my 27 inch monitor (2560 x 1440), but I don't need top-of-the-line performance. I plan to build a complete new rig sometime in the future (as soon as the chipmakers straighten out the Spectre and Meltdown problems), but until they do I will keep the current build and only upgrade the GPU.

Here is what I need:

1. dual monitor support (currently run a 27 inch with a DVI connector, and a 24 inch with a VGA connector and a VGA-DVI adapter)
  2. ability to run games on the 27 inch monitor @ 2560 x 1440
  3. I don't really need really high framerates
  4. good low price
  5. no excessive power requirements

I sure can use the help.........all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

no excessive power requirements is going to be an issue. Really you can find a 780 Ti on ebay for around $150 and it plays 2k just fine if you okay with 40-60 FPS High settings. But it draws 250watts. You might be able to find a 970 for cheap, which is about the same performance of a 780Ti but half the power.

With mining big, you won't be able to find any newish video for under $300 that can play in 2K at a reasonable framerate.

Alternately you could get 2x 780s and go SLI and get the performance of a 980. But once again, if power requirements is low, you can't do that.

Either way, I would think about replacing that PSU, "generic" doesn't sounds very healthy for a system. You can get a EVGA Bronze 750watt on amazon for $45. I've been running a 650 with a 1080Ti 24/7 for 8 months. no problems so far.