Broadband Achieved Over Wet String

Guest_Jim_*

Physics is an amazing thing, especially when you turn it to something kind of silly. An employee at a British IP did just this by demonstrating a broadband, ADSL signal can be carried by wet string. To be more specific, it was two meters of string soaked in salt water because fresh water would not do the trick. After connecting the string, its speed was measured at 3.5 Mbps for download, proving it works.

Why does this work? Because the physics involved with the signal does not solely rely on an electric current, which the string would resist. Instead the cable acts as a waveguide for electromagnetic waves of such high frequency, the material does not matter much.

It is safe to say string is not going to become a part of broadband connections, but this still demonstrates an interesting and amusing quirk to the technologies so many of us use every day.

Source: RevK's Rants Blog

Back to original news post

I used to work part time installing Direct TV. We had lots of classes on how the wave form travels down the cable. I can not count the number of times I would do a service call for bad signal only to find that the cable was bent in such a way so as to kill the signal. It's not the copper, it's the dialectic coating that carries the signal, so, radical bends kills the reception.