Small upgrade possible, or need to go complete?

Perscitus

Ended up getting the GTX 1060 6GB... I'll get enough use, and based on what I looked up from benchmarks, it was a worthwhile upgrade. Only thing to consider now is how much I should OC my i5-2500k.. any suggestions? Whats a good starting point? Going from 3.3 to 4.5 seems like a bit much, but I haven't OC'd in a few years..

Congrats on the new GTX 1060 6GB. I would probably start at 4GHz, then work your way up with the voltage and GHz (4-4.2). Not sure how much you should use at 4GHz either, maybe someone here with the same processor can help you on that or maybe you can look it up elsewhere. 

The 2500k should oc very well, you can start with 4ghz at 1.25 volts, if it won't boot into windows raise it accordingly. At 4.3 to 4.5 some cpu's need more voltage but I don't like to pass 1.35 volts as things can get a little too warm then.Find yourself a good benchmarking program to see if it's stable. I wouldn't try to push the cpu too far as it is older and also if the mb fries they are hard to find now. I would be happy with a 4.3 at say 1.30 volts. JMHO !

@potatochobit That is my initial plan, get a few benchmarks with the system as is >> swap cards and benchmark >> OC and benchmark

Guess I better get some benchmarking software... I haven't benchmarked in 5+ years.. slacking... any suggestions of preferred software? Looking get some good information to know how the performance varies.

4.0 Ghz on that 2500K should be a walk in the park.  Lots of excellent OC guides available online, but it shouldn't take much.

As for game benchmarks, there are the old standbys; 3DMark and Unigine Heaven among others.  Furmark and MSI Kombustor are out there on the fringe and IMHO stress the video card too much and don't really reflect real life performance.

You can also grab some Minimum and Average FPS data from games that you actually play.  Those are the true indicators.

Considering the goal is to get the dumpster fire of optimization that is PUBG working smoothly good luck.  With that said for 1080p low settings the 1060 should do just fine and getting CPU core speed up will help a fair bit.  The only issue left at the point is memory.  PUBG likes ram and seems to do best with more than 8GB in the system, but if you keep settings low it should still be fine.  Also be sure the game is on an SSD, and separate from the system pagefile (assuming it's on an SSD) if possible as the loading of assets can really kill a system in some scenarios.  

I'll second 3DMark and Unigine Heaven as quick and easy ways to check the performance upgrade but again what you see in games will matter far more than near perfectly scaling synthetics.

I was planning to take notes on my fps numbers for a few games, and I guess good old 3Dmark it is.. I'll also try out Unigine Heaven. As for 1080p... maybe next PC, I still have my older monitor that runs 1680x1050. I don't mind it and it probably helps the frame rates. 

@cchalogamer My PC has 16GB RAM, I corrected the error in my signature. As for storage, I have all my games on my Samsung 850 EVO, my OS is running on the 840 EVO, and the hdd is for any other stuff. BTW, dumpster fire of optimization sounds about right, it would be great if they sorted that out.

Edited by Perscitus