Post Your Ultimate Barebones Setup For <$500 Here

domn8r

lets see

CPU=$75-$80 (Barton 2500+)

MB=$120 (Asus A7N8X-Deluxe) or Abit NF7 for $77

Ram=$84 (2 x 256MB PC3200 Kingston to run in dual channel mode)

Pre-mod case with 350/400W PSU=$50-$60 (no not a TT or Enermax)

using existing cables, HDD's, CD-Rom's, floppy,monitor,keyboard, printer, and mouse, (who doesn't already have these?)

yeah, we're at about $345.00 or less depending on which motherboard you get, wanna add some round cables, maybe some fans, or a nice HSF ?

most of those prices are good at newegg now

Providing you have all the things such as keyboard/mouse etc etc:

CPU - $182.00 P4 2.8C

Mobo - $187.99 Abit IC7 Max3

Ram - $84 (2 x 256MB PC3200 Kingston) (same as what gravy said)

HDD - $81.00 Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Case - Use a cheap case like gravy said

Total cost = $534

This may be a little over $500, but it really is a killer system, the mobo is definately worth having, I know I own one. It will also be a great overclocking system.

I'm with the rest of them on the HD, RAM, and stuff like that, but I would go with:

Albatron K8X800 Pro II mobo (this board rocks!)----$118

Athlon 64 3000+-----------------------------------------$224

Ends up being $507 with the above mentioned stuff, and it's an Athlon 64! That would be an awesome system. Also, I've had a very good experience with my Geil ram, so you might want to look into that instead of the kingston.

thanks for the quick replies guys. Vampire -- how does that system compare to a mobile 2600+, overclocked?

Is the mobile 2600+ the speed you overclocked it to or its stock speed. It should beat it, and if you overclock the P4 (hell with that mobo and some decent cooling you cant really go wrong), it should kill it. Im a intel man myself, but my friend has an athlon 2600+ and mine kills it, I know amd is good an all, but in my experience the P4's are kickin ..

Also it may be a good idea to go to a 64bit system, but I know something next to jack all about them :P

DFI NFII Ultra Infinity - $90

Corsair XMS PC3200 (2,3,3,6) 512 MB - $115

2 x WD raptor 36.7 GB Sata - $220

Mobile 2400 - $75

get an el-cheapo case but don't skimp on the PSU. I'd say refurbished antec so you can get a True Power 480. Its 500 without the case. My opinion Good Luck

The DFI's hate GEIL ram. Also I've heard some of the PC-3200 stuff they sell are their 2700 chips clocked to 3200. My DFI easily goes to 220 with POS Geil Blue Shield stuff. With some good RAM guys are hitting 240 on air all day long. There are more toasters floating around every day(250+)