Bosco

Intel Core i9 7980XE & Core i9 7960X Reviewed

thank you frank for your thorough evaluations, above and beyond as usual,...I'd be curious to know what you find out from MSI about the gaming stats and how to achieve improvements. after reading this, my little I7- 5930 suddenly feels very inadequate, but the cost to level up in this arena seems prohibitive at least for now...

thank you frank for your thorough evaluations, above and beyond as usual,...I'd be curious to know what you find out from MSI about the gaming stats and how to achieve improvements. after reading this, my little I7- 5930 suddenly feels very inadequate, but the cost to level up in this arena seems prohibitive at least for now...

Thanks!  I agree cost is a prohibitive factor at this point for most folks. On both sides of the aisle AMD and Intel. Cannot begrudge either of the companies though as it is what we are clamoring for. I moved out of my Core i7 920 about 5 months ago into a Core i7 4960X as my daily driver. 

For content creation more cores is going to mean better performance!   

That i9-7980XE is a beast,.. der8auer managed to break a few records with it bumped up to 1.55V. https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-Pushed-61-GHz-All-Cores-Using-Liquid-Nitrogen

Pure sickness!  The bottom line is even under LN2 it is a temperature limited chip LOL!  

yes well, 6.1ghz will be out of my league for years to come. And like the one poster said "Cute stunt, but I don't see it making me more likely to buy one of these. Then again, nothing short of a tragic brain injury would do that.".....my tragic brain injury will come when i get the credit card bill... hahaha !

That i9-7980XE is a beast,.. der8auer managed to break a few records with it bumped up to 1.55V. https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-Pushed-61-GHz-All-Cores-Using-Liquid-Nitrogen

Pure sickness!  The bottom line is even under LN2 it is a temperature limited chip LOL!  

yes well, 6.1ghz will be out of my league for years to come. And like the one poster said "Cute stunt, but I don't see it making me more likely to buy one of these. Then again, nothing short of a tragic brain injury would do that.".....my tragic brain injury will come when i get the credit card bill... hahaha !

These chips are for a defined market segment just like all the rest. I remember watching 8Ghz being broken with an AMD Bulldozer chip.  Its always great to see big numbers but the reality is how do they do day to day when you are not playing with cherry picked samples under LN2.  I can tell you running 4.5Ghz under full water is a blast but not where I would run every day. For most users they are overkill but there was a reason you bought a 5930 :).  I think the 7900X or 7820 are going to be the better chips for more applications but there is a real cost benifit discussion we can have now with AMD's Ryzen chips. 

They might be overkill, but such a nice overkill. It's just a special feeling when you can have all 32 threads at 100%, and then still launch a game and play without noticing any performance loss. Definitely enjoying my 1950X (which is also the one Frank got the data from for the review).

They might be overkill, but such a nice overkill. It's just a special feeling when you can have all 32 threads at 100%, and then still launch a game and play without noticing any performance loss. Definitely enjoying my 1950X (which is also the one Frank got the data from for the review).

Yep, I have to build a multi tasking bench into my reviews now! 

A happy consequence of such high thread counts at still good clock speeds! Trick will be deciding what are reasonable background applications/tests to run when benching. I definitely suggest using x264 because it scales well and is the software encoder of choice when streaming, but am sure there are other that would be of interest too.

moore's law makes it hard to plunk down a couple grand for the fastest most wonderful hardware the world has ever seen, only to have it outclassed and de-rated in a couple of years, and fallen by the wayside,...since AMD is already programming a move to 12nm, and the inevitable growth and expansion of the die, then it seems likely that intel must have at least something similar in the works,...it makes more sense to me (as a mediocre gamer/hack) to follow the chipset and platform, buy a little bit lower cpu in the moment, and put the left over $$ away to use for the next most fastest mass of 3D tri-gates transistors ever melded into silicon in that chipset...

i will likely make a move later this year or early next year, but haven't decided on AMD or Intel but i'm watching and listening closely now and they have my attention...let's see where it goes ...