Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds. [Ryzen 1600X]

Basic core specs:

Ryzen 1600X @ stock speeds until I can get my RAM stable at its stock speeds

MSI B350M Mortar

Corsair LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz, 16-18-18-36, 1.35 V, running at 2933 MHz / 1.2 V

I've tried using both the AMD Ryzen Master suite as well as my BIOS, but absolutely nothing I have tried will get my RAM running beyond 2933 MHz at 1.2 V and 16-18-18-36 timings. XMP doesn't work. Manually adjusting everything to the RAM's stated specifications doesn't work. The various tools in the MSI BIOS for choosing predetermined RAM settings don't work. The only way I've managed to get my RAM to run at speeds higher than 2133 MHz is to leave everything on auto except for the RAM frequency, which runs stably at 2933 MHz / 1.2 V. Trying to run my RAM at anything faster than 2933 MHz at 1.2 V causes an infinite reboot loop until I clear the CMOS. I have the most recent BIOS.

What do I do? I've seen people claiming to have systems with RAM speeds well over 3000 MHz with the same RAM I'm using, even with stock CPU speeds. Am I screwed until more updates are released?

Edited by Miek

The RAM you have is not the preferred Samsung "B" die.  Still, they're rated at those speeds at 1.35v so there's no guarantee you'll be able to get them to run at higher speeds with less voltage.

Ryzen is still picky with memory as well.

I can't speak for MSI boards in particular, but at least a few of the other manufacturers have made some some great improvements.  My 3200 sticks are running at 3333 just fine and are not Samsung b die.  Actually they are Hynix.  That said, you should:

1.     Make sure you are using the most recent bios update, maybe even try an unofficial one if you read that others have had success with it.

2.     I run my DDR4 at 1.4 volts so you could try increasing yours from 1.2.

Also know that even if you can't get above 2933 (yet) that the difference would be extremely minimal.  The performance starts to plateau just before this speed.

I can't speak for MSI boards in particular, but at least a few of the other manufacturers have made some some great improvements.  My 3200 sticks are running at 3333 just fine and are not Samsung b die.  Actually they are Hynix.  That said, you should:

1.     Make sure you are using the most recent bios update, maybe even try an unofficial one if you read that others have had success with it.

2.     I run my DDR4 at 1.4 volts so you could try increasing yours from 1.2.

Also know that even if you can't get above 2933 (yet) that the difference would be extremely minimal.  The performance starts to plateau just before this speed.

That's also very true.  It's why I run my 3200mhz sticks at 2800mhz with tighter timings and less voltage.  BIOS updates are also a huge difference maker if your manufacturer has released updates containing newer AGESA code.

But if you can get more MHz with slightly looser timings, you should.  Something about the "fabric".  It affects more than just the ram and only see's the MHz number, from my understanding.

Yes - Specifically with Ryzen.  I have an X99 system.