Check My Parts

scr4wl

Hey Guys building another rig, but I need input for this one. It is going to be a video editing/production workstation. Basically it will be used to cut together videos, commercials, training vids, etc. It'll run windows, but also needs to be able to run osx.

Budget is $4k, but I'd rather not spend the whole budget.

Parts I'm considering:

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3gb $239.99

PSU: 750W modular evga $94.99

Memory: 32gb Tridentz (2 x 16gb) $244.99

CPU: 7600k $239.99

Raid: areca ark 1883i-sa $619.99

Cooling: EKWB A240G $239.99

Boot Drive: Samsung 960 Evo $234

Raid drives: 4x Samsung 850 Evo $879.80

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-z170x-gaming 7 $137.98

Total: $3055.62

I know the raid seems overkill, but it is to help with fill rates and is gonna be a requirement for the build.., although it doesn't need to be an array of ssds... Also open to controller suggestions, I don't think I want to do softraid for this.

The raid array will not be for storage, that is all done elsewhere, and I'll probably throw a 2tb drive into this machine for local storage as well.

Only reason I choose those ssds is because I could buy 4 at once.

My main questions. Should I stick with the i5, or does video editing benefit from more threads? What about the 1060, it shouldn't need more power right?

Anyway, feel free to post your thoughts, suggestions, or parts lists. :)

Edit:

Forgot to mention, already have the case.

Edited by scr4wl

Unfortunately I don't get to use it, beyond putting it together and setting it up. It's for one of our graphic designer/media guys. From what I can tell he mostly uses premeire and after effects, but he's got a ton of software.

A list would be nice and what resolution and footage would be used (aka 8K RED RAW or 2k MPEG2, etc). But I use Premiere and AE everyday at work. Lots of Memory (system) and video acceleration is a must (CUDA). That super raid is beyond overkill. Unless they are editing multiple layers of 8K footage in real time, 2 drives is all that is needed. In fact I think without a raid card (which you cant do with M.2 cards yet) would put way to much overhead on the immense throughput in software mode. It gets even more complicated from here. Anything in Premiere or AE that is "rendered" will be cached on the OS drive by default in a temp folder. You can change this to be any drive and I usually have a dedicated 480GB SSD just for that. However if you aren't rendering effects out because the video card is powerful enough for real-time playback, than it goes unused. The people I work with are old school where tape was used for years so they think EVERYTHING needs to rendered before moving it to the actual render que for output. An extra step that isn't needed. Ideally, 1 drive for os, 1 for temp and raid-0 for current project.

I would need to know more to really help you out because Premiere and AE has so many configurations. If they are just doing 1080P than a $500 computer is all they need. If they are doing 8K green screen work with 10 layers and AE timelines mixed with Premiere than that 3K setup won't be enough. In either case a i5 is enough because the CPU won't be doing any work, it will all be diverted to the video card for previews and final render.

Technically it is illegal to install OSX on any none MAC since Apple does not sell OSX (give it away for free with macs)and forbids it from being installed on none mac machines. Hackintosh is a grey area but since you can't buy Mac OSX, you cannot install it with being in the kinda illegal grey area.

Yeah......I know toooooooooo much on this subject. I'm the guy everyone comes to at work when things don't work...for like anything lol.

Real story just last week: co-worker:"My keyboard doesn't work" Me: "it looks like a liquid is between the keys" Co-worker" Yeah I spilled coffee early today on it, but it worked until just now so that can't be the problem"  :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

We do use 8k, and I know the raid is overkill but it was requested and is one of the requirements for the build. I don't have to use ssds, but was told to if I can fit it in the budget, so...

I'm also well aware of the nuances of hackintosh, but again, it's required...

Anyway, good to know the i5 is enough, what about the gpu? Is the 1060 powerful enough?

Edit:

I can get you a list of the software he uses tomorrow.

Edited by scr4wl

Can't say if the GTX 1060 is enough yet. That list will help. Like what resolution primary is being shot and what output resolution be used and format. I can ask the creative department at my work to give me some 8K RED footage tomorrow and see how it runs on a GTX 770, GTX 960 and 1080Ti. I haven't played around with much 8K yet myself. it also depends on how long they want to wait for the final render or if half resolution previews are okay. In the perfect world we could all have 4 1080Tis and and 128GB of ram :)

Okay I'll find out that info for you tomorrow, hopefully you don't come back and tell me it needs multiple 1080ti's lol.

They are gonna want the render times to be as quick as possible. Is there a huge difference between the mid range and high end cards here? Do people really have multi-gpu setups for rendering? That never would have even crossed my mind.

I'll also have to ask about the half res previews, I don't know if he cares about that or not.

Edit:

@Dynamic

Went intel cause it has to run osx. I've seen some people running ryzen hackintoshs, but I was worried it might run into issues. Do you know of people who have done ryzen builds with osx? Any issues?

Edited by scr4wl