Check My Parts

scr4wl

That RAID card is a waste, IMO. You won't be running parity RAID anyway, so get a cheap one or run software RAID. Streaming IO won't care either way.

That RAID card is a waste, IMO. You won't be running parity RAID anyway, so get a cheap one or run software RAID. Streaming IO won't care either way.

I was hoping you would chime in since you know a lot more about this sort of stuff than me. My only experience with raid is small raids like 5, 0  and 1. Things might have changed over the last five years but I sure noticed the difference when using a Raid card vs running in software mode. Of course this was with 3.5 1TB and 2TB  mechanical drives. I would think it would be worse in software mode with SSD since they have much higher I/O Throughput. But I agree Raid cards a real big hassle and rarely worth it on some setups.

Okay I'll find out that info for you tomorrow, hopefully you don't come back and tell me it needs multiple 1080ti's lol.

They are gonna want the render times to be as quick as possible. Is there a huge difference between the mid range and high end cards here? Do people really have multi-gpu setups for rendering? That never would have even crossed my mind.

I'll also have to ask about the half res previews, I don't know if he cares about that or not.

Edit:

@Dynamic

Went intel cause it has to run osx. I've seen some people running ryzen hackintoshs, but I was worried it might run into issues. Do you know of people who have done ryzen builds with osx? Any issues?

I heard of AMD OSX but never seen it in action or know of anyone doing it. I think it takes some mods to run since OSX is built around Intel chipset. I could be wrong on how easy it is, just don't know anyone who does it.

I heard Premiere doesn't scale very well past 1 card, but I haven't tested this myself. I got 3 1080Ti so I could test this theory out.. Never needed more than 1 card for what I do. And actually this is entering the territory of a article I been wanting to write. which is about workstation builds. Its been held up by lacking the necessary test footage and waiting for the Threadripper to come out. This should help me determine some prerequisites for the article to be relevant. Win Win for all!

To be clear it would help to know

Programs Used:

Recording resoltuion / Raw type:

Final output resoltion and file type:

In AE what type of work. A bunch 3D layers and MoCap or just basic Green Screen stuff.

Software RAID, for striped or mirrored sets, is actually faster than most RAID cards. If you want dedicated SATA bandwidth a basic card like the LSI 9211 can do RAID 0. They're cheap these days: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RL8I7M/. These cards are good for 2.X GB/s.

Breakout SATA cables for them are cheap too.

Why would you need a RAID 0 of SATA TLC SSD's when a 960 Pro would be faster anyway?

For streaming reads/writes, the difference isn't huge.  I mirror the concern that this build seems a bit...odd, though.

Switched out the raid card with the suggested lsi card, and the gpu with a 1080ti. Took a few hundred off of the total.

The build seems weird cause some weird stuff was requested, but I gotta put in what they want. Lols (Which was the raid of ssds)