i hate bit coins...........

The mining portion of curecoin is done on asics, which is less similar to gpu mining then folding.

If you are folding purely for coin you are essentially mining, running a proof of work algorithm on your gpu. The work being the protien folding simulation.

Folding is not mining, you are right about that.

FoldingCoin, which was my example, is distributed in the same way that gpu mine-able altcoins are distributed. Via work done on a GPU or CPU.

If FLDC is really as lucrative as it appears to be, you will see (or are seeing) many people buy 1070's and 1080's simply to earn FLDC. If they're doing it for the money, I don't see it as any different from someone "Mining". The nice thing about it is the dev's are rewarding people for helping research medicines. It's still technically PoW though, and is still an example of how purchasing a GPU to put to work 24/7 in order to earn some altcoin can do some good.

Edited by scr4wl

True and I'm folding just for the coins. Its strange that I don't like mining.  But I'm okay with folding because of the benefits it gives to humanity. I don't see how mining does that at all other than deplete the worlds resources that much faster.

I kind hope people jump on folding because than the coins value goes up. it's a win win in my book even if I jump out of it at some point.

I hope the value of fldc increases as well. ;)

As for depleting the worlds resources faster.., yeah that's the major downside to the whole thing.

Like I said earlier some of these massive networks are put to somewhat good use. The Ethereum network is pretty cool, and if you do some research it makes sense why its value increased so much. Unfortunately the increasing value has not kept up with the difficulty.

Here is a list of some of the dapps built to run on the eth network:

dapps.ethercasts.com

Folding for folding coin is mining in my eyes. There is the side benefit of helping look for a cure for all sorts of terrible afflictions from Alzheimer's to Cancer. But Folding purely for coin is mining!   

Folding for folding coin is mining in my eyes. There is the side benefit of helping look for a cure for all sorts of terrible afflictions from Alzheimer's to Cancer. But Folding purely for coin is mining!   

not to be the turd in the punch bowl but there will never be a cure for either both are caused by things we are exposed to and ingest and until we stop it will 

continue.

It isn't just ethereum. There are several gpu mineable algorithms that are profitable, each with several coins that are profitable to mine with said algs.

Maybe some will be asic'd, maybe not. No reason to hate the currency though, it's just one of several factors that lead to the price increase.

The prices will come down.  They always do.  It's a bubble.

You're also asking companies to cut profits simply because gamers are getting screwed over right now, which will never happen.

• Like 1

The prices will come down.  They always do.  It's a bubble.

You're also asking companies to cut profits simply because gamers are getting screwed over right now, which will never happen.

its not the mfg companies that are profiting from this its the retailers I,E newegg , amazon