i hate bit coins...........

why dont mfg disable mining on gaming gpu's and sell gpus's that are for mining only at a higher price?

NVIDIA and AMD did disable Furmark in the drivers from running at full speed a few generations ago because idiots kept blowing up the VRMs.. The work around was simply to rename the exe to something else. So unless they add the anti-code into the bios of the gaming cards and leave the mining ones open for mining programs I don't think it can be stopped. Any driver related blocking will be bypassed by using any driver before the newest one. 

I can see the next generation of cards having these mining ASCI features blocked on the driver level for the next generation of cards, maybe even a BIOS protection to make sure the drivers aren't changed. 

NVIDIA and AMD did disable Furmark in the drivers from running at full speed a few generations ago because idiots kept blowing up the VRMs.. The work around was simply to rename the exe to something else. So unless they add the anti-code into the bios of the gaming cards and leave the mining ones open I don't think it can be stopped. Any driver related blocking will be bypassed by using any driver before the newest one. 

they can do it on a hardware level 

For Pascal its to late in the game. But because both AMD and NVIDIA are releasing mining cards I really think at least NVIDIA Volta cards will be blocking mining on the gaming cards.

The price of cards will drop again.

Also, some gamers did not get screwed. Some "gamers" bought rx470's back when they were $150 a card then sold them for upwards of $300 and upgraded to a 1070 (for free basically) before the Nvidia prices shot up as well. It's just supply and demand. Some popular altcoins recently spiked, which made a bunch of new people want to hop onto the mining bandwagon. Just wait for the next GPU release, you will see the market saturated with used cards from this generation.

Also there are many different algorithms (That millions of dollars of research has gone towards) used to "Mine" these different currencies. There isn't going to be a simple hardware level on off switch.

EDIT:

Also, there are many different versions of many different miners for mining these many different algorithms. If they were to do a software block, we would be talking about blocking A LOT of different software (and workarounds will be found!). It just seems like way to much work to block something, that is currently making gpu manufacturers (and those selling used cards) a lot of money.

Edited by scr4wl

all i am saying is gaming cards for gamers mining cards for miners..... 

its just pisses me off that retailer raise prices 50% to 300% and people are  stupid enough to pay it and all the while none off that extra $$ goes to the mfg 

The reason people are paying that much, is because until recenty, a rx 470 could pay itself off in a month or two. Ethereum (one if the more popular currencies) also went up from $30 to almost $400 in a few months.

This made the roi for mining retarded fast.

For this reason people wanted to get cards while the getting is good, the RX cards (popular mining cards) sold out fast. (Hence the price increase)

People then started throwing money at other carss (Nvidia cards do better at different algorithms)

Since this recent mining boom ALL of the dificulties have gone up, and the market has gone down.

This has made the roi take a lot longer (especially on these cards that are 2-3 times retail) as people see the diminishing returns, as mining cards are released (supposedly for less), and as next gen cards come out.., you will see your prices return to normal.

• Like 1

I'm sure someone would find a work around, but it would stop the average joe from jumping onto mining with a gaming card. They could  also make it so only games on a certain list would work. Yeah it would piss off some gamers , but it would be a necessary step to block all mining.

First of all.

That would be hella irritating if only games on a list would work. What happens to anything that runs on Cuda or opencl? What happens to indy games....

Edit: Also what, am I gonna have to wait for a driver update every time a new game comes out? lol

Second,

What is wrong with mining? Some of these massive networks actually are put to good use. Yes, some blockchains literally just waste electricity.., others don't though. Many (and I mean literally to many to mention) blockchains put there massive networks to good use! One example is the ethereum network (Which is a Turing complete VM) and its "smart contracts".

EDIT:

Foldincoin is an example that is getting popular on this website, of how GPU mining can do good!

Edited by scr4wl