BLCK VS CPU OC

dling

It depends on the system as to how it handles BCLK straps.  But as far as effecting things that aren't 'meant' to be overclocked... I guess that's all up to personal preference.  My old X58 machine has the CPU core speed, CPU cache speed, QPI and Memory speed all tied to the BCLK.  Then it becomes how high you push the BCLK and what multipliers I use for each.

Right now I'm running 150 BCLK on a W3680 with x28 CPU (4.2ghz), x24 CPU Cache (3.6ghz), x24 QPI (7.2 GT/s), and x12 Memory (1800mhz 8-9-8-24 1T 1.5v).

X99 doesn't like it when you increase the BCLK so I left it at 100.  Not much else to talk about this machine.  A lot less fun to OC than the X58  :sleep:

Edited by xenkw0n

Yeah the X58's are a blast to OC,  still running my Asus R3E board at work.   Swapped out the 950 to a 980x this year (F'ing xeons will not boot on this board) running a 29 x 147 for 4.2Ghz with 24Gb ram 1770mhz  9-11-11-31 2T  and 4 GTX 670 Superclock+ cards.

The newer gens are so boring to OC, move multiplier to 45 change voltage a little BOOM 4.5Ghz.  You actually had to try back in the X58 days and before.

Yeah. That's pretty much what I did. bclk at 100 and multiplier at 4.5 score at 1.3vdc and alls well.

Edited by dling

one last question. would I be better off lowering my CPU speed to get my mem at is proper speed or staying with the faster CPU speed ?

currently my mem is set a bit lower.

For gaming and the test I did DDR4 speeds aren't much of a factor. So I don't think it would matter. However I haven't actually tested this. You could do a simple benchmark and see which is better.