new pc and linux mint

wildman2

Was contemplating doing a new build with linux  mint or another one that the name eludes me(it's geared towards audio video stuff)..How much of a pain in  the neck is mint or linux in general now?.Is the installation of stuff better now than it was say 8yrs ago.I really don't want to go to windows 10.Do not game at all on my pc. It would mostly be for recording stuff from my bass guitar, graphics stuff , 3d modelling, cruising the net maybe youtube stuff now and again.And of course folding 24/7..

Wasn't real fond of the win3.1 style command box (oops dated myself)on the version Ubuntu I installed.Is there a list of common commands floating around  that I could use as a cheat sheet till I'm used to it?etc etc etc.Really don't want to give anymore money to Micro_snot anymore!

Also I run multiple monitors.

I don't know about Mint besides that its basically Ubuntu with a different GUI shell. A lot extras are stripped but you can easily download them. If you are going with Linux than Ubuntu 16.04 is very clean and functions with everything I've tried besides LSI raid cards.

You get GIMP, Blender, Audacity, SMplayer and Firefox to cover all your needs.

sounds like ubuntu 16.04 may be a winner after all.Already played a little with Gimp and blender.Audacity looks cool.Have to see if my drum program and bass /reg guitar creation program is linux ready.Smplayer does a lot and of course firefox hmm that may just work..Video card drivers up to snuff?Particularly for AMD. THX

Linux all day everyday, things have changed a lot in the last year.

Personally I prefer just straight Debian (or arch), not super fond of unity, and i prefer gnome. Then just install whatever packages you need.

as for gpu drivers, depends on the card. I both game and mine on several linux distros though, so id say yes.

Edited by scr4wl

Since I'm going with a ryzen setup I'd have to get a distro with a 4.10 kernel correct. Is the kernel update difficult to do/compile if distro isn't 4.10 now?

I'd rather not have io errors.

Yes you would need 4.10, difficulty depends on how comfortable you are with linux and command line.

Personally I dont think it is to hard, usually, sometimes funny things can happen though.

Edited by scr4wl

Not real comfortable with Linux seeing as I haven't ran it in prolly 8 yrs.The command line is what I disliked/liked the most about Linux as a whole.Reminds me of win3.1.I'm sure it's a faster way of doing things but I've grown too accustomed to the point and click nature of windows.Is there a cheat sheet of commands that can be copy and pasted into the command line for the  most used/type of  commands.Until I've developed a better under standing of the who ,what, when, where and why of Linux.I was real familiar with the dos commands  after a short bit.So I'd might be able to learn the commands relatively quick if my old brain can wrap around it.      

The "commands" will differ depending on the distro, this covers some stuff https://highon.coffee/blog/linux-commands-cheat-sheet/ <- NOT EVEN THE TIP OF THE ICEBURG, really you'll need to read some manuals.

Also, if you dont understand a commamd, a wealth of information can usually be obtained from the man pages.

Example:

If you are using something based off debian and dont know how to use apt-get, you would type man apt-get and then read :)

Edited by scr4wl

Sounds easy enough. Prolly go with an Ubuntu flavor that's more graphical at first.At least till I understand the ecosystem/structure of Linux in general.Pc wont be built for a cpl of months so that gives me time to  do way more research on it in general.Heck if I can learn how to use Solid works in a month and make assemblies I SHOULD be able to fire up a Linux flavor and work it out.Be going to  your link here in a sec.Already went to Ubuntu's forum and cruised the newb sections.

• 1 month later...

I'll throw another suggestion in the pot - Fedora 26. It is the only OS on my laptop and I am extremely happy with it. Updates are frequent, meaning you tend to get the bleeding-edge stuff before other distros. Runs on gnome which is great (so great that ubuntu decided to abandon its unity desktop environment in favor of gnome for the 18.04 release). It is based on Red Hat linux and is sponsored by Red Hat, so you really get a damn good OS.

Although it's a pain to install, my vote would go to arch. No bloatware and extremely fast (openbox and compton). Don't know how to compatibility is with

?ryzen, but I heard you can use gpu passtrough, which is king imo