Build anew or upgrade?

Miek

I have the 1700 that came with the wraith cooler. When overclocked even a little, and running things that put my video card at or near 100%, the cpu temp would go above 70 pretty quick and then shut down.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm about ready to order parts to do a build and would like one final opinion before I do so. Right now, the only thing I'm debating is whether or not I should add a 144Hz monitor to the build, and if so, what resolution (1920x1080 or 2560x1440). However, these are the parts I have assembled into a wishlist and would like to order before things go out of stock again.

• MSI B350M Mortar
  • Ryzen 5 1600X (it's on sale for less than $20 more than the 1600)
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Rev. 2 (AM4 support)
  • WD 256GB M.2 SSD
  • WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM drive
  • Corsair LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz (reviews suggest that this RAM works well with Ryzen systems)
  • PowerColor Red Devil 8GB RX 580 Golden Radeon
  • SeaSonic M12II 620w modular PSU (80+ Bronze)
  • DIYPC F2-O + 2 additional 120mm fans
  • Windows 10 Home (USB drive format, 32 + 64 bit versions)

Doubt you'd be able to get any overclocking out of a cooler like that. The rest of it seems fine... Looks like you can support a cooler up to 160mm with that case. I would definitely spend a few more dollars there.

I also jumped to a 144hz monitor with my last upgrade. Went with the Dell S2716DG for some 1440p goodness. Love it.

Which of these would be best? The Thermaltake would save me $20 but I don't know what the difference in cooling performance would really be. They're both 120mm fans. These are the only reasonably priced units I saw that had AM4 support out of the box and 120mm fans, and that would fit in the case I have selected.

I also added this monitor to the build.

https://m.newegg.ca/products/N82E16824116784

I can go 1440p for another $100, but I don't know if the RX 580 would be ideal for it. But... Then it leaves the door open for future video cards that are more powerful.

Edited by Miek

The one with copper would most likely cool the processor better for the HSF. That RX 580 is a nice card, but i doubt it would do you much with 144hz even at 1080P. At least for the most AAA games out there. Good luck with your build.

Alright then. I took the monitor out and added the Arctic Cooling unit. Monitors go on sale often enough and I can always pick one up later if I find my current one unsatisfactory.

I think I'm good to order, then. I greatly appreciate the help and discussion.

Edited by Miek

If you didn't order it yet I might look into some even more powerful coolers.  If you're willing to get up into the range of that Arctic cooler then there's options like this Thermalright;

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22B-002R-00001

Says 161mm height but... 160 vs. 161... I might risk it.  This cooler will be better than that Arctic cooling one.  Still, Arctic cooling is a VERY good fan/heatsink maker so if you already purchased it, no worries.

Companies like Noctua, Be Quiet!, Thermalright, Thermaltake, Cryorig, etc. will all send you an AM4 mounting kit for free with proof of purchase.  The Cryorig H7 and Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 would also both fit your case and provide better cooling at the same $50 price point.

I already placed my order, but I don't think I'll be too disappointed. A CPU cooler isn't super difficult to change later on if worst comes to worst and it winds up being not good enough. Thank you for letting me know, though! I'm so looking forward to playable framerates on new titles.