Jobs? Certifications?

anthony

Well i was thinking about this weeks ago.... about jobs... and about what to do when im out of school... suppositly high school determines your entire life almost.. . and obviously i want to do something related to computers. but i ahve heard that the computer path wil be dead in teh future. and how it is a dead end job...

so i came here to ask you guysb ecause some of you own shops.. and are IT professonals....

just wanted some information of some interesting job paths in computers.. and what certifications are nessecary to plan ahead.. righ tnow im lost.. .

the best i have planned is taking the A+ certification this summer.. hoepfully..

and i bet there are a lot of other occ members in school and dont know aht to do .. so maybe this thread can helpo them too"

ty

Guest Arauthator

Getting Certified would not be a mistake. Anytime you have the opportunity to grab some education for a little bit money, almost nothing in this case, comparetively speaking; you should jump at the chance. I am a bad example of that, but I have other reasons for not getting a certification. Mainly because I was building computers at 15 years old in 1985 and started out on DOS 2.0

I was interested in them all the way up to 486DX and dropped out. I just got back into them with the relase of the 1.8 Celerons. Long break huh? Well there was a war going on and I figured it would be cool to be a door gunner for awhile in the Marine Corp.

Anyways, sorry about going off on a Tangent, where did you hear that computers are going to be a dead end? That is bogus. The workforce is so knee deep in computers it would take 20 years just to remove them. Not to mention the fact that computers are outdated the day they are released with newer technology. It's a big business that is here to stay. So go ahead and pick any career in computers if that is what you truly want. Intel and Microsoft are going to make sure you have plenty of job security, believe me.

i'm applying for the A+ in computing as we speak... then i'm gonna go on to do a HND in computing then am gonna open up a buisness with kirky_d but he doesnt know it yet... we've already started building computers for our friends i dont think it's a dead end industry it's gonna b alive at least another 50 years i reckon n e way...

well i heard about the dead end part because... a lot of things are gona start being built in 3rd world contries.. cheaper to manufacture.. and tons of people are going to be going into the computer industries.... so basically. there will be to much people...

and i know certifiication is a good idea... .. but its 200 frigan dollars....

and how much can you possibly make servicing computers?

is there a path in computeres that has a lot to be earned in?

high school doesn't really determine crap about the rest of your life. the best advice is to go to college and figure out if you want to work with hardware, networks, programing, r&d, or whatever you can think of. as far as certifications go, they can help determine pay, but actually knowing the material in an interview is what gets you the job. it can also make the difference in being the boss and just a worker. there are a lot of different opinions in the industry about that though since certification became popular, and to many people are using brain dumps to pass the tests, but when they go to the interviews they can't back it up, which makes the rest of us look less appealing

the amount you can make really depends on where you live, and what all you can do. i think networking is where the future really is at, more so than hardware. its always good to be able to fix the hardware, i do consulting work and occasionally people want stuff fixed, but more often than not they are looking for a way for their computer to help save them money.

Edited by twohig5

high school doesn't really determine crap about the rest of your life

well isnt highschool ewh you pick you courses? and what universities and colledges look at ?

high school just gets you started, in college is when you get your real emphasis on what you're going to be doing in the real world. i went to Marshall University and we had degrees for just about everything, so i would imagine most any school would have programs for most anything now. i went through the programs for integrated science and technology, and programing, before i finally found the network administration program. the way i see it networking is the future since companies are begining to be spread out all over the world, and they still want to have equal access to their resources.

if i were you i would call or check out the websites of the schools you're thinking about, see what kind of programs they offer and go from there

Certs will help but right now the IT is very over filled. You most likley wont be going into the IT field right away. Ive been looking into it and its a tuff field to get into. Try programing there will be a shortage of programers i think in the next few years. Also try and get a two year degree. It will help you alot. maybe even try for a 4 year.

Well i cant say much cause im only 18, but im already CCNA certified along with A+ and ill have Net+ in a couple months...

Hopefully ill find a job fairly quick. I might take another Comp hardware course and im going for my CCNP when i actually get a job in the feild....

Best thing was, I took all 4 CCNA semesters in highschool so i payed $80 for all 4. A savings of about $7920 lol...

:ph34r: