Ryzen 1700X PC Build Help

Liclac

Hi,

Please, I need your suggestion about my upcoming build next week.

Since Phenom X era, I always prefer AMD for desktop to Intel. Main purposes are for 1080p gaming (medium-high gaming, not extreme), graphic works, multimedia, and multi-tasking. 

And I won't be upgrading my PC yearly as I'm planning to keep it for at least 7 years or more.

My upcoming build spec is as below:

AMD Ryzen R7 1700X (already bought for US$ 388)

AsRock X370 Taichi

Sapphire RX480 Nitro 8GB 

Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim (waiting AM4 Bracket from Be Quiet!)

Crucial MX300 525GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Seasonic X650 or XFX XTR650W (Identical price)

Evolv ATX TG for the case

+Deepcool RGB strip, and bitfenix alchemy custom cable, it cost USD 1700 in total.

I don't live in US, so prices might not be the standard one, and yes it is expensive. 

I do understand that 7700K is much much better for gaming compared to newly-born 1700X. But in my country both prices are the same (388 for 1700X and 390 for 7700K). I will overclock the 1700X a little to 3.8GHz. 

Besides, X370 boards are cheaper compared to Z270 boards. and I believe 1700X is more future proof as 8C/16T will be mainstream for gaming from now on. Ryzen chips have significantly higher raw power compared to 7700K, I guess it's only matter of time until games can utilize all threads.

I prefer get a powerful CPU (not LGA2011) so I can keep it for years and upgrade the graphic card only. And RX480 suffices my gaming need.

Memory is missing from the list, and I need your expertise to help me choosing memory. I watched and read a lot of Ryzen reviews. All of them are saying that memory compatibility might be an issue with AM4 platform. Can someone provide me an easier explanation? Does it mean that currently existing DDR4 sticks are not all compatible with AM4? Do I need a very specific ram speed or brand or type for AM4? 

I found a user guide and memory compatibility from AsRock for Taichi, 

But I don't understand the compatibility guide on Specification -> Memory section. Also, there is QVL for memory, and I couldn't find any of them being sold here.

My RAM choices are below (all 2x8GB):

1. Klevv Cras PC17000 KM4C8GX2N-3000-1 (cheap, prefered)

2. Geil Super Luce PC19200 GLW416GB2400C16DC (cheap, prefered)

3. Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 B (less prefered, expensive, 2666 MHz compatibility concerns me)

4. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB KIT PC19200 (cheapest, prefered, based on Crucial website it says compatible with X370 Taichi, but not in QVL).

And AM4 does not support XMP, does that mean all RAM with XMP will not work on AM4 platform? This whole RAM thing is confusing for me. I won't overclock or tweak the ram, I'll run it in stock.

I hope you can help me with this matter. I understand AM4 is still very new, regardless I really want to build a stable system. And if you have any suggestion on the remaining parts, you are very welcome.

Btw I am upgrading from i7 720QM 1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3, Ati Radeon HD 5870M 1GB.

Thank you in advance

Ram choice will not be that bad. Just follow the QVL for the board you choose and you should be good. The kit I used for my Ryzen review has an XMP profile and works just fine with the board and 3 chips I tested. 

Thank you for your information. This made me feel a bit safer. I am very worried about ram compatibility. I'll just go for the standard 2400 with qualified vendor listed in QVL. 

Thank you! I appreciate your advice.

I just found some memory listed in QVL. Avexir Core series 2400 is the best choice for now.

Buy may I ask you a little bit more about RAM?

I saw that Trident Z RGB 3200 is listed in QVL. But it runs at 3200 MHz, is it going to be a problem?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/#Memory

F4-3200C16-8GTZR,

I guess it's identical as the one I want really bad: F4-3200C16D-16GTZR,

I don't plan to OC the RAM for now. If I install ram sticks higher than 2400 (let's say 3200 or 3000 like the kit you used for review), is the motherboard going to downclock it automatically to 2133 or 2400? Or I have to tweak it manually or else I'm going to have a POST problem?

Sorry, I have never tweaked a memory before since I'm using a laptop right now. Your expertise is highly appreciated.

Regards

Edited by Liclac

You'll have to overclock your RAM and adjust the frequency/timings OR just try and run them with XMP enabled.  Before you adjust the settings in the BIOS, they will run at stock speeds for the 1700x.  The KLEVV or Trident's should overclock well.