AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, and 1700 Processor Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering the extra load, compared to the 95W chip the temps aren't that much different, which is strange to me.

I am not an engineer, so I am probably wrong here, but ehh, if you have a 65W chip and a 95W chip, when both are overclocked, one would say the 65W chip would still run cooler than the 95W chip, but when i see the benchmarks online that include temps, the difference is not that much.

A 65W chip running at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts will generally run the same as a 95W chip at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts.

They're all the same silicon, and they won't vary by much. The only reason the 1700 is a "65 watt" chip is because it's clocked lower at lower voltages. Once you change that, it's going to use a LOT more power.

That explains the higher reported temperatures!  You do not need an offset to manage thermals better you just need better cooling.  By running max cooling and max speed on an AIO pump this offset is irrelevant.

I wish AMD would stop doing this kind of thing. It's confusing for everyone and serves no real purpose.

Well, considering the extra load, compared to the 95W chip the temps aren't that much different, which is strange to me.

I am not an engineer, so I am probably wrong here, but ehh, if you have a 65W chip and a 95W chip, when both are overclocked, one would say the 65W chip would still run cooler than the 95W chip, but when i see the benchmarks online that include temps, the difference is not that much.

A 65W chip running at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts will generally run the same as a 95W chip at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts.

They're all the same silicon, and they won't vary by much. The only reason the 1700 is a "65 watt" chip is because it's clocked lower at lower voltages. Once you change that, it's going to use a LOT more power.

Hmm sounds plausible/sensible :P 

Hmm sounds plausible/sensible tongue.png

<- is a computer engineer. :P

<--- is not a computer engineer ;P

figured it would be something like that though.

On a different note, digital foundry did an extensive review of the chip (1800x) and did some interesting benchmarks with certain settings, in case people are still hungry for some extra information that has not been processed in this review.

That explains the higher reported temperatures!  You do not need an offset to manage thermals better you just need better cooling.  By running max cooling and max speed on an AIO pump this offset is irrelevant.

I wish AMD would stop doing this kind of thing. It's confusing for everyone and serves no real purpose.

I agree, Especially when they overclock within a narrow margin. At least on the first board and 3rd BIOS.  Tried dropping cores on the first board and it does not play nice.