AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, and 1700 Processor Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, looks like they may have rushed the launch and bumbled a bit. Performance in some tests (even heavily threaded tests) is up nearly 40% in the Creators Update to Windows 10, with gaming tests seeing around 10%.

Looking forward to see how this plays out, but I'm annoyed AMD may have screwed themselves over yet again.

Wow, that is quite hot to be honest, especially for a 65W chip.

Overclocking makes it...not a 65W chip. ;)

Well, considering the extra load, compared to the 95W chip the temps aren't that much different, which is strange to me.

I am not an engineer, so I am probably wrong here, but ehh, if you have a 65W chip and a 95W chip, when both are overclocked, one would say the 65W chip would still run cooler than the 95W chip, but when i see the benchmarks online that include temps, the difference is not that much.

Well, looks like they may have rushed the launch and bumbled a bit. Performance in some tests (even heavily threaded tests) is up nearly 40% in the Creators Update to Windows 10, with gaming tests seeing around 10%.

Looking forward to see how this plays out, but I'm annoyed AMD may have screwed themselves over yet again.

Just wait for the "gen 2" chips (first i7 920 vs the glorious 2600K anyone?) an di am pretty sure the performance is going to be a lot better.

Or so i hope.

Funny you should be talking about that Warweeny, the very next page I saw was this, explaining that the 1700x and 1800x are actually running 20 degrees hotter than what is reported, where as the 1700 (non x) is supposedly reading accurately.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_r7_1800x_and_1700x_report_higher_temperatures_with_a_20_degree_offset/1

Funny you should be talking about that Warweeny, the very next page I saw was this, explaining that the 1700x and 1800x are actually running 20 degrees hotter than what is reported, where as the 1700 (non x) is supposedly reading accurately.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_r7_1800x_and_1700x_report_higher_temperatures_with_a_20_degree_offset/1

I just put up a news item too, based on the community update AMD released that included that piece of information amongst others. Apparently the offset is meant to get engage fans cooling the 1700X and 1800X sooner, while the 1700 lacks the offset.

I'v been hearing that with the Asus CrossHair AM4 motherboard you can do a quick BIOS adjustment and cores, threads as well as L3 cache domains can be toggled on/off with AMD's 8 core Ryzen 7 chips,.. thus quickly disabling four cores and effectively creating a quad-core that runs a higher overclock with much lower temps while gaming or running applications, software,.. that does not require 8-cores, 16-threads.

Edited by Braegnok

I guess on the bright side,.. if the BIOS adjustment works we might get a sneak- peek at Ryzen 5 1500X performance before Q2 2017 release,..  :D

Edited by Braegnok

That explains the higher reported temperatures!  You do not need an offset to manage thermals better you just need better cooling.  By running max cooling and max speed on an AIO pump this offset is irrelevant.

Hmm, based on the articles posted, a 60 degrees is a lot more tolerable than 80+.

Hopefully we get a decent and accurate temperature measurement tool this time around, bulldozer was all over the place and ususally ended up "not supported" in most temperature reading tools i have used (real temp didn't support it, and core-temp gave weird readings for example)

You mean the 1700x and 1800x are really running 20 degrees cooler...

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk