Heatsink Problems Possible for AMD Ryzen Motherboards

CheeseMan42

The upcoming AMD Ryzen CPUs have had a fair amount of good news in recent days regarding price and performance compared to Intel offerings. Unfortunately, the latest news deals with a potential problem rather than a positive aspect of the chips. Sources have told Tom's Hardware that some heatsinks may face problems stemming from the pressure applied by the heatsink to the CPU. The cause for the problem appears to be screws that are too long which "reach their safety stop too soon, leaving the spring with too much headroom." The sources added that AMD provided the location of the screws but not the height. It appears that coolers that provide a backplate along with the heatsink won't have the issue, but Tom's still "found that a few large cooling solutions may be impacted, as well as some popular motherboards."

Source: Tom's Hardware

Back to original news post

If you use the AMD style clip on cooling solution that was used on the AM3 and FM2 boards you also will not have an issue. The Corsair H100i  I have did not have an issue nor did the Noctua heatsink adapter. I can see where the issue can present though.