Setting up simple file share in Windows 2012

ir_cow

I'm back in need of more help!

So it seems the Ubuntu / Samba server thing I tried to do this whole week is a bust since the LSI card isn't support and just kept locking the system up and causing errors in disk reading. Fast forward the whole day, I got Windows Server 2012 installed (working normally) and created a test folder to be shared but thats where my luck ran out.

I can't seem to get the drive to share without having to type in a login and password. I just simply want to create a shared folder that does not require logins. Does anyone have a solution for Windows 2012?!

I must be missing a simple step in the wizard setup....

Are you using AD?  If so, its just a matter of setting what user has access to it.

If you want to simply share a folder that everyone can read/write to it, you have to the the Share and NTFS (security tab) permissions to "everyone" and have full access.  Keep in mind this is "insecure" since everybody can access the share and make changes to it.

Are you using AD?  If so, its just a matter of setting what user has access to it.

If you want to simply share a folder that everyone can read/write to it, you have to the the Share and NTFS (security tab) permissions to "everyone" and have full access.  Keep in mind this is "insecure" since everybody can access the share and make changes to it.

The latter option generally isn't an option. It's too prone to error by any one user and security folks would have a heart attack if it was implemented.

Yeah Free-NAS wouldn't even install. Got the mounting error that is common with raid cards. Other than Samba CL, windows is my only other option. I couldn't fully get samba to work in GUI form and the conf file looked okay, so I don't see how I would do any better with CL that a know nothing about. I found a 15hr course on how to setup file sharing for 2012, but I rather not spend money when someone could tell me lol.

It has to be simple, permissions are set and I can see the drive and folders but they require a login. If I can't figure it out this weekend I'm just going to leave it with a login and make the news people live with it.

Yeah Free-NAS wouldn't even install. Got the mounting error that is common with raid cards. Other than Samba CL, windows is my only other option. I couldn't fully get samba to work in GUI form and the conf file looked okay, so I don't see how I would do any better with CL that a know nothing about. I found a 15hr course on how to setup file sharing for 2012, but I rather not spend money when someone could tell me lol.

It has to be simple, permissions are set and I can see the drive and folders but they require a login. If I can't figure it out this weekend I'm just going to leave it with a login and make the news people live with it.

? FreeNAS doesn't install onto the HDDs, it installs onto the thumb drive you boot from. That Perc card is 100% supported in FreeNAS, I run essentially the same hardware in my NAS.

Either way, you shouldn't enable anonymous access - it's a recipe for disaster! Give each user a directory that only they have access to write to, and if they want it, allow anyone to read those directories.

hmm not sure why FreeNAS did what it did than. I booted from the flash drive and tried to install (no other options). eventually an error came up about mounting problems. googling it seems like a normal problem people have.

I think i've found the problem with 2012. It was inheriting permissions. So I just delete the other permissions.

I don't care if everyone can see the drive and delete files, it will be a daily dumping ground server. everything gets deleted weekly anyways currently and they know its not backed up. Each person has a personal 10GB drive on a different server which is worth keeping permissions for that stuff.