Front panel audio just stopped working

I have had this case, a NZXT S340, for just one year now and the front panel audio connection just died.  The microphone is still working but not the audio output for headphones.  Fine one day and not the next.  No notices of any sort in windows, just doesn't see anything plugged in.  Tried the rear connection and that is fine.  Tried reinstalling the mobo audio drivers, nada.  Tried a different set of headphones, nada.  Checked the plug to the mobo, just fine, unplugged and re-seated for good measure, nada.  

I can hear a bit of static when I plug in, pretty normal, and even when l move the connection around, but I don't get any audio output.

What can I do?

Are you running Win 10?

If so, did you unplug the front speaker/headphone?

Win 10 will sometimes disable the front speaker if not connected

at boot.

You may have to go into the device manager and reactive the front.

screwed around with it a lot, reinstalled drivers etc.  I can get the front jack to work if I switch it over to AC97 instead of HD.  Then I have to manually switch between front and back outputs.  Also the settings are set to the opposite of what happens regarding muting one or playing both.  Meaning I have to set it to "play both front and rear simultaneously" for it to play just one, and if I select "mute rear when front is plugged in"  then both play.  WTF.

Yes I am running win10.  I have tried booting with the front connected and not connected.  It used to work as advertised, start it however and then it defaults to the front if plugged in at anytime.  

In the realtek panel, the front mic is active but the headphone jack is grayed out.  When I switched to ac97 the green headphone jack becomes active again.  

Regarding the playback device question, it works like that with ac97, you can select the playback device (speakers or 2nd device) but have to switch manually, unlike before.

I no longer use my front panel speaker out.

My guess - Win 10 applied an upgrade that fubar'ed your device manager.

Sometime back they screwed up the Line Out.

When I had Speaker Out the Line Out would no linger work.

I finally gave up trying...........