Need help overclocking a i7 2600K

Asinorum

In general I like to keep my cpu at or under 72c when running a stress test, if it runs around  that temp running prime than with normal loads (gaming, video encoding etc ) it should run even lower and you'll get a good lifetime out of the cpu.I've been running mine for 3 years at 4.5 oc ,1.3 volts and never had a problem. It will run 4.7 ghz but I'd have to raise the volts which in turn raises the temps so for the extra horsepower it's not worth it because I really don't see a difference between 4.5 and 4.7 !

In general I like to keep my cpu at or under 72c when running a stress test, if it runs around  that temp running prime than with normal loads (gaming, video encoding etc ) it should run even lower and you'll get a good lifetime out of the cpu.I've been running mine for 3 years at 4.5 oc ,1.3 volts and never had a problem. It will run 4.7 ghz but I'd have to raise the volts which in turn raises the temps so for the extra horsepower it's not worth it because I really don't see a difference between 4.5 and 4.7 !

IMO, anything under throttling is fine. Volts kill CPUs, not temps. I wouldn't hesitate to run a chip into the 90s under Prime/Linpack.

IMO, anything under throttling is fine. Volts kill CPUs, not temps. I wouldn't hesitate to run a chip into the 90s under Prime/Linpack.

Yes, and everyone has their opinion, and I don't disagree with yours Dave, but I believe high temps will eventually damage a cpu and if I can do 4.5 with a air cooler and stay under 72c I'm quite happy.

Merry Xmas to you and the Panda ! :)

I have an old gulftown that's ran that way for years (had a couple pumps die and overheat the chip a couple times, one times I didnt notice it was over heating and rebooting, only to over heat again.. did this for at least 24hrs before I noticed.. that system runs in a back room i don't check all the time) it still runs and is currently folding on the cpu lol. In fact it's the only thing I have folding at the moment averaging about 30k a day lol, hay it's better then nothing :)

Edited by Hyper

When I was folding hard and heavy any thing less than throttling worked fine for years. The only CPU I have ever had fail was a 2.4C that just gave up the ghost with no warning. Every other chip I have I have beaten on without failure.  On the flip side I may be more open to the loss and I realize not everyone will want to risk the financial investment that they make.  I have no qualms about running a chip on the edge but again some do. My screenshot earlier is about as ragged an edge as I ran that chip.  It is still alive as of this day in a system I just put together for my father.  

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else having issues finding system fans 3 and 4 in the bios for the MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboards? I have the lastest bios version 2.C0/2.12 and also it does not detect my memory properly only 2133MHz and not 2400MHz. I have XMP enabled but it only goes to 2133MHz. So is there any benefits going from 4.5GHz to 4.7GHz? Only giving it around 1.315v @4.5GHz.

You could bump it up to 4.7 and see how high you would have to raise your voltage, try to keep it under 1.35 and watch your temps, but with my rig running benchmarks I did not find much difference between 4.5 and 4.7  to warrant making the change as it raised the temps about 5c so I just left it at 4.5 !

I have a water cooling setup, so it doesn't come close to 60c. I'm using HWinfo64 instead of anything else to see what the temps are. Not sure if this application is accurate or not. Is real temp monitor better? Anyhow there is something wrong with the motherboard and the bios update since it doesn't recognize the speed of memory correctly or to adjust system fans other than the two that i can see i.e. sysfan1 and sysfan2. So you are playing 1080P games and haven't noticed any changes between going from 4.5GHz to 4.7GHz?

THat's about it, but I only have a 660 video card so that could be why I only get the same frames on 4.7 as I do on 4.5 . I do a lot of video encoding and do not get better speed on 4.7 as compared to 4.5 , about the same speed for all the programs I use.