Another should and what thread

Utmost

So I've finally settled into the new place and I'm thinking about a new build.  I have a nice case from OCC and I've bought a decent PSU and SSD for it so far.  My current rig I just may keep intact and pass down to a family member. 

I guess my main question is:  Are there any new techs coming in the future to wait for?  I'm building this slow so I'll be lookin into grabbin a 2 or

3 TB data drive, and look for a nice deal on 16 GB ram.  Suppose i'll grab a cooler too on sale, although I'm not sure what socket I"ll go with.   Then most likely go an i5ish route and wait till the very end for GPU.  I've heard of tick-tock cycles with Intel CPUs and it's a better value to buy during "tock".  Is that true?

Regarding RAM, I trust DDR4 isn't going to be replaced any time soon?

As far as usage I like to play MMO's and RPG's.  I'm currently waiting on Pantheon.

Just a post your thoughts thread here.  Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Agreed.  But AMD's new processors are suppose to be out in the first quarter of the year.  I'm planning on a new build myself, and hopefully my current one will last that long, although I'm currently experiencing some trouble...

If these new cpu's don't live up to the hype, maybe they will at least drive the price of intels down a little bit.

If AMD ZEN doesn't live up to the hype they most definitely will NOT drive the price down of Intel CPU's.  Still, Kaby Lake is coming out soon as well and Z270 motherboards + the 1080ti.  I don't think DDR4 will be going away any time soon but even if it does that doesn't mean it's obsolete.  DDR3 is still extremely viable for 99% of tasks general users perform.  HBM(2) memory is the only thing that is catching my eye lately but that's nothing to consider... Just proving a point that DDR4 isn't going to hold you back.  The price of RAM has actually gone up quite a bit for a number of reasons so it is hard to find a good deal on memory right now.  16GB would be the sweet spot for a general build with some future-proofing kept in mind.

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and ordered some DDR4 RAM to help force myself into finishing this.  I also figured out what I want to do with this.  I ordered an edge lit LED sign that I am going to try to replace my case window with and RGB it up with hopefully an Asus AURA enabled mobo and gfx card. 

The sign is this:

s-l500.jpg

I'd then like to set the lighting to change with music as I listen to it.

That's my plan =)

• 1 month later...

The asus z270E is now paired with an i5 7600k

I also snagged an h100i v2 refurb for cooling as I hope to get close to 5ghz.

As yet I do not have a GPU paired with it and I may just use my old 660 for now. Hoping to go 1060 or 1070 in near future.

Here are a couple pics

064ab0bd2e1aadca2c3d341e694cc572.jpg

6425297c5d1b975d618ca4b2920dca03.jpg

be8e8decbe13cf5f4d02d7cece91592b.jpg

https://vimeo.com/201611165

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Whelp windows is installed and all I'm missing now is the GPU and a 1440p 144hz monitor.

I'll post up some more pics as the battle station becomes fully operational.

94d082f3acf89d26a6853ff747f8bb18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk