Time for a new video card for my gamer

cjloki

i've been out of the loop for a while and just had an older video card failure in a backup machine. So I was wondering what the biggest beast card of the moment is, and also which has the most bang for the buck. Whichever video card solution i decide on will be for my gamer machine, and the current gamer card will go into the failed unit. I am seeing a lot of talk about the new gtx 1070's, which could be a possible answer, but if anyone has any input or objections i would sure like to hear about it.

thank you OCC

cjloki

The beast is the NVidia 1080, but as far as which one you should get, really depends on what resolution you are using.  At 1080p, you can probably get by with an NVidia 970 or 1060, or an AMD 480.  For a higher resolution, look to spend more.

yes mostly 1920x1080, but I'm set up with twin monitors (two identical 27") at the moment. But honestly money is not my main concern, and video processing and high quality is,..I want the very best video gaming quality and am not afraid to spend to get it. But also i want the equipment i choose to last a good long while, like 4 or 5 years would be good.

thank you Fight Game

what about a pair of gtx 1070's

My advice, and advice you would see from most others, is to get the single best card you can.  SLi and Crossfire doesn't always scale well in some games.  At that resolution a single 1070 or 1080 would be plenty.  But if there comes a time in the future when it doesn't, then you could revisit the idea of adding another (assuming you already have a motherboard and power supply to support it, otherwise this would be something more you'd need)

Edited by Fight Game

I sure hope you dont mean you want to put a 1070 in your computer with an AMD A10 processor 

and when you play games, you dont really use two monitors, do you?

most people use 3 or 1.

so you dont have to worry about getting the most high end graphic card for a single monitor

RX 480 is under 200$ and great 

you can buy a 1070 if you want but i suggest you do your research

they are know to catch on fire and EVGA has issued some kind of recall for them 

Simple NVIDIA's GTX 1080 is the top performing card right now. The GTX 1070 is more along the GTX 980 Ti in performance while the GTX 1060 is targeted at the GTX 980 performance window. On the AMD side the R9 Fury or FuryX are your top performers with the R9 390X not to far behind. It just depends if you want to run AMD or NVIDIA hardware CJ.   

thank you potato, frank and fight game,...

just for the record my stats are not up to speed...i have been remiss in keeping myself updated...the amd unit is long gone and the current gamer is I7 5930 6 core on the asus board i won in the christmas contest (Thank You OCC) i will be replacing the bad ass 7970 vapor x i got from frank about a year ago or so (this is what will be transferred to the failed machine video card position)...

..and now that you have given me a direction and brought me up to speed i will be looking and researching a lot,...honestly i have been with the AMD video solutions for some time and so now i feel like trying another gtx nvidia, either 1070, or 1080, per frank... and for the record, when i'm able to get in here and play games it's on a single screen...so there ya go... I've also had my eye on an LG 37" monitor at new egg, which will replace both of these when that happens to go on sale for the right price...

but you all have my gratitude and and hopefully i will be able to get in here more often within the next year...

thank you my friends a OCC

just for the record my stats are not up to speed...i have been remiss in keeping myself updated...the amd unit is long gone and the current gamer is I7 5930 6 core on the asus board i won in the christmas contest (Thank You OCC) i will be replacing the bad ass 7970 vapor x i got from frank about a year ago or so (this is what will be transferred to the failed machine video card position)...

..and now that you have given me a direction and brought me up to speed i will be looking and researching a lot,...honestly i have been with the AMD video solutions for some time and so now i feel like trying another gtx nvidia, either 1070, or 1080, per frank... and for the record, when i'm able to get in here and play games it's on a single screen...so there ya go... I've also had my eye on an LG 37" monitor at new egg, which will replace both of these when that happens to go on sale for the right price...

but you all have my gratitude and and hopefully i will be able to get in here more often within the next year...

No problem! Share what you get when you get it! 

• 4 weeks later...

No problem! Share what you get when you get it! 

ok ccokeman, as you know i did a short and sweet unboxing and install of the ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX Edition and posted it to facebook. Actually this card is the most powerful i have ever seen and absolutely flat out runs everything i have tried it on today on ultra without any stuttering, screen tearing, static troubles at all...now if this baby will last and hold up over time like i believe it will, then it will be worth every penny spent on it ! ...this is the beast of beasts !

...now i just need to figure out how to get my little videos over to here....i'll keep working on it for a bit 'till i have to go...