Need a new TV ~ $1000

ivangela

The budget is not super strict, but please don't recommend a $1999 option. Maybe $1200 ish.

We watch mostly movies but do watch the occasional football game.

I don't need a smart TV, as i have an HTPC hooked up to it. I would prefer to put that money into a better quality panel.

I also don't need quality sound as it's hooked up to my 5.1 system.

I need BIG, preferably 65" as we sit pretty far away, over 12'

I initially thought projector but those get pricey quick and the living room is bright and I read a lot about that being an issue.

What do y'all think?

Yeah I was looking at that and the Samsung UN65KU6290FXZA from Bestbuy for the same price. I don't know the difference, they seem very similar to me.

LG vs Samsung?

Edited by ivangela

Personally, I go with Samsung, LG, Sony, and Toshiba for TVs, in that order. My current one is Toshiba and it's great, especially considering it was an open box model. Had a bright spot in the middle for the first year, but it was fading constantly, and now you don't notice it at all. Been three years now and no problems at all.

make SURE your HDTV supports HDR 10 

and I recommend you not buy LG OLED if you plan to play video games 

SONY 850D and Samsung 8000 series should be under 1200$ depending on sizes

Edited by potatochobit

Well, I finally bought something!

We went to Sams and I had intended on buying the LG 65" in Fight's post above but they only had the display left, and it wasn't discounted so I ended up with this 

Samsung 70" Class 4K UHD TV - UN70KU630D

What?! My living room is huge so we can sit far away. We're 12 feet now. Last night I watched a NatGeo thing on orangutans...in 4K...WOW!

The picture is so good it looks fake. It's going to take some getting used to.

I looked at some other Samsung's and they have a curved 65" for a similar price but I'm skeptical about the curved thing. My wife recently bought a curved monitor for work. She likes it but, meh, not that special to me.

I opted for a bigger screen instead.

The 8000 series Samsung's are pretty pricey for me. It seemed about a 50% price hike for 240 refresh rate, not to mention 65" not 70". The rest seemed pretty comparable.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice

Peace

• Like 1