Ideas to improve my connection?

F13Bubba

So I just asked for help with adapter suggestions, but after buying a PCI adapter, I realized that my PC is in a terrible spot to receive wifi with a built in card. My wireless was working so well because I have it on a USB extension up high, free from obstructions. I used to have a powerline adapter, and loved that, as I would get great speeds and ping, but it died. SO my question is, what is going to be my best option for improving my speed and stability? I'd love to figure out a way to go wired if I could.

(Just for reference)

USB Adapter: 30-40 down, 2 up. Steam Downloads at 4 megs/s

PCI adapter: 10 down, 8 up. Steam Downloads 1 meg/s

Powerline: 60 down, 6 up.

EDIT: I just fixed my powerline, but the speed is only getting 18 down.... Frustrating.

Edited by F13Bubba

Moving the pc, or the router isn't really an option, unfortunately. As I added in my original post, I got the powerline working, but the speeds are only around 18. I'm frustrated haha. I wish I could just plug in directly. I suppose I could buy a really long cable, and run it through the attic. I also suppose that the cables I'm using are older, and don't have the speed.

My cables are CAT5e, so that's not the issue. My connection is only 100Mbps through the powerline, though....

I also suppose I could get an extender for my antennae...

Edited by F13Bubba

NUMBER OF RULE OF THUMB RULZ :

1. START WITH INCOMING IZRA POINT IN YOUR HOUSE, ROOM.. This should be in absolute pristine condition, only than you get the best signal, a good starting point. See that is perfect.

2. Where do you not want that socket... Correct not in the suppliance cupboard, where all the copper pippin, metal support struts, metal piping. Sticking this in small space is the worst place for the router. Why? The Faraday effect... An in essence keeps radio signals trapped. A microwave oven works the same. So take out there.

3. Look for heavy metal construction embedded in your house/room. They will also mean loss of signal.

4.So now we no where we don't want to be, where do we want to be?

Routers are in essence radios zo they love to be mounted on a flat wall between 150cm En 180cm high, they love sending/receiving information. This works best where it a a clearing from 30 to 50 cm around the model.. (yeas it looks like some picture that is shown in a galary.

Using a modem test comes with external antennas. Work way better. Screw them on. Now. You are ready to start testing.

Draw a map of the house en take measurements on all locations. Test the wifi signal strength, with tool like wifi analyzer. (free on Android)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Edited by henkenator68nl

Hey Bubba, for speed, ping, reliability, latency etc. there isn't much that is going to perform better than a network cable between your router and your work station.  I think that your two next best bets will be powerline adapter or usb wifi adapter.  If you go the USB wifi adapter ideally you will find one with a long enough cable to allow you to better position your antenna for optimal reception.

Hey Bubba, for speed, ping, reliability, latency etc. there isn't much that is going to perform better than a network cable between your router and your work station.  I think that your two next best bets will be powerline adapter or usb wifi adapter.  If you go the USB wifi adapter ideally you will find one with a long enough cable to allow you to better position your antenna for optimal reception.

I got my powerline working, but the signal doesn't translate well through the walls, so I got a usb 3 adapter, and bought a 9 foot cord for it, so I'm getting 65 down :D

That's great news.  What USB 3 adapter did you end up getting?

I had a problematic room on the second floor when my kids still lived at home.  My router was downstairs in one corner of the kitchen, and the wireless client was upstairs on the other side of the house.  I bought a USB adapter and then strung a cable from the PC out to the adapter that I hung from the wall on the landing.  Improved performance substantially.

Would love to know the model adapter and cord you purchased and where from.