OGKwon - Chieftec Dragon Modding

Awesome job on this. Really came out nice!

Thank you!  I have an X58 Board and X5670 laying around I could throw together in here but I'm debating whether or not I want to use those parts for an arcade cabinet my roommate and I are planning to build.  I have another computer that uses the P6X58D-E with a W3680 installed.  Truly my favorite platform.

Edited by xenkw0n

• 1 month later...

Update: I'm going to put my existing older build into the case.  The one I showed pictures of with the KLEVV memory on an X58 system.  I feel like the color scheme will work well in this case.

Before moving the computer over, I've decided to commit to learning how to sleeve my cables.  I ordered everything I need (aside from wire, pins and a crimper) to modify the existing modular cables.  Ordered a variety of Paracord colors for any future projects as well.   Will be going with a Black / Red / White / Black theme with the cabling.

WOW! I love these cases, and it's awesome you kept it and took the time to make it a work of art! I recently pick up an older AMD computer set up in an older Dragon case in the bright green color. It is sadly a bit beat up and would like to paint it too. I have a ? for you. While cleaning mine out after getting it home as it was dirty/neglected , ( I am very OCD about things too) I started taking each individual fan out to clean all blades, etc. there is one fan in a drive bay in the front of the case, right above the bottom fan that I cannot get back together again. If you or anyone can walk me through it or show a detailed pic if it I would really appreciate! Also if you know of anyone wanting to sell their older dragon style case I would be interested. Thank you again!

Thanks!  The case is very nostalgic to me which is what prompted me to use it for my mod.  The front drive fan you're talking about has to fit into the purple fan holder and then the holder itself has to slide into the drive bay before you install it or any hard drives.  The little clips should be at the front of the case and then it should clip into the one side.  Hard to describe, let me know if you need more detail.

Oh and I actually was able to pick up a legitimate BRAND NEW version of this case with the window (my original case was the steel version which didn't have a window... the aluminum versions have the windows).  I had to communicate via email with support at this website to get it ordered but shipping included it came out to ~$50.

http://orioncomputer.ca/

Thank you so much for the info. I figured out how to get that fan in there. Each of the fans aside from the one in the side panel is attached by cable to a panel the sits in one if the 3.5 bays and has 4 small knobs similar to those on a radio dial, (I assume they are to control fan speed) . Had to disconnect that fan, and re-run it through and around so it would all fit properly. I emailed Orion re: the cases and parts but have not heard back. Thanks again!!!!

If you want to replace the fans in that case I would recommend picking up a 5 pack of the Arctic Cooling F8's.  These are probably some of the best 80mm fans in existence and are ridiculously priced right now.  Fluid dynamic bearings!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W04RV7711

Depending on where you live they can be found on other sites.

• 2 months later...

Finding enough time recently to start going down the tedious path of sleeving my cables. At this point I've only done some testing and then finished a Molex cable and PCIe 6-pin extension cable. Using 425 Paracord, working well so far and very happy with the results. I will go into more detail about what I'm trying to do and what I've picked up in the process.

OGKwon-41-SleeveMolexPCIe6.jpg

• Like 1

I really want to get some of those myself. Just the shipping is always such a killer for me. Not that it is expensive, I just hate paying 10 bucks to ship something that could go in an envelope lol.

I really want to get some of those myself. Just the shipping is always such a killer for me. Not that it is expensive, I just hate paying 10 bucks to ship something that could go in an envelope lol.

Yea I felt the same way that's why in the end I decided since everything else I've done so far was custom that I would just do it myself.  I actually went a bit overboard and picked up almost 2,000 feet of assorted color paracord.  ~400 black, 200 white, 200 red and then 100 of random colors.  Came out to about $80 just for the paracord but I wanted to get enough to use for any other requests from friends in the future.  Once you get the hang of the whole sleeving process it moves along.

I have enough black, white and red to do my cables at least 2 times over.  Paracordgalaxy is where i ordered from, 425 paracord, it's a LITTLE smaller than what most people get with 450 paracord and that can make sleeving over any connectors kind of a pain (although I figured out an easy process to make sure the connectors don't rip through the tape).  I wanted the thinner paracord because it would be more taught on the cables and look better in my opinion.

Edited by xenkw0n