New SSD failure plus other Hd issues

Assassin X

As you see by my other topics I built a new PC in the past two days. Because of driver issues my friend gave me his new SSD. He installed Win 10 on it for me. Well after 3 hours of messing with settings I installed Win 7 on it instead. Spent about 14 hours updating Windows, drivers, adding new programs...etc. Well yesterday night I installed my new graphics card.

I had to reset the computer by hand a few times since the screen was black. Eventually fixed the issue. Before bed I installed the audio drivers for the sound card I put in. I also added some new programs. When I restarted it said it needed repair. So I let it but it couldn't fix it. It restarted and it gave me a boot error. I messed with the settings and had no luck. I removed my one WD hd that had Win 7 (use it as storage now) thinking maybe that was the issue. Didnt change anyhting though. Same issue.

Plugged it all back in. I decided to fresh install Win 7 on the SSD just for a fresh start. But when I chose it to do that it said theSSD was about to fail and it couldnt do the install.

Sobky question is, is it normal for a SSD to fail so quick? Should I bother with another one? I may just buy a new WD hd and use that since I rarley have issues with them aside from getting old and dying.

Which ssd is it?  How old is it?  The newer ones are just as reliable as new spinning drives and you shouldn't be having any issues.  I still have a couple first generation G skill drives that work fine and they are 7 years old!

Edited by Fight Game

Each manufacturer usually has a program you can get to wipe the drive.  I'd try that, and then a fresh install.  But be sure when you install, to only have that single drive installed.  I'm not 100% with the new windows, but I know in the past, during an install, windows would put files on other drives (or something) and when that drive was removed, it would error out.

Ah I see. I know at one point it troed to repair my WD hd instead. Which dowsn't work as an OS. I even had to choose which HD to boot the OS from. Not sure the tool will work since rhe SSD just BSOD while loading windows.

But be sure when you install, to only have that single drive installed.  I'm not 100% with the new windows, but I know in the past, during an install, windows would put files on other drives (or something) and when that drive was removed, it would error out.

Same thing still goes on to this day.  Windows always wants to put critical boot files on a secondary drive if one is present during the install process.  Same advice is still relevant.  If you don't want any issues, always disconnect all but the primary OS drive when installing a fresh copy of Windows.  You can add secondary drives after the initial installation is complete.

To the OP.... since you're having so many minor to major problems getting the system setup, I'd begin to suspect something else at play here.  The first place I'd start is by ensuring that you're running the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard.  If your BIOS is outdated, update it before doing anything else.  Second, I'd load BIOS optimized defaults and then run Memtest from a USB drive overnight.  If that passes then you can proceed with the fresh installation.

Just bought the hardware last week, not sure if it shows my parts at the post on mobile. Did run a mem test to and it was ok. Maybe I am powering down wrong? Normally after an update/install I click restart. If I start and theres an issue that doesnt let me in windows I then hold down the power button to turn it off.

Also I tend go install many programs at once and ignore them saying to restart until I am done. Maybe thats messing things up? Should I install one thing at a time then restart?

Hmm... I just checked my cables and stuff. Memory wasnt in fully, now it is. I plugged the SSD in (by itself) and it powered it up. After a few seconds it powered back down. Powered it up again but its back to the " reboot and select proper boot device" screen. Even ttied without the Dvd drive and nothing happpened.

Here are pics if it helps.

post-17224-0-05051700-1471989305_thumb.jpg

post-17224-0-35870100-1471989337_thumb.jpg

post-17224-0-89843700-1471989357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Assassin X

I'd try it out in another system.  Pull the SMART logs, update the firmware if applicable, etc.  It might be alerting SMART to a pre-fail condition, and I'm happily surprised Windows keys in on that.