Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz DDR4 64GB Reviewed

Bosco

It should be nice to see a comparisson benchmark between two systems almost identical. One with 1066Mhz and other 3200Mhz memory so we can see how useless is (for gaming) the mhz in terms of RAM.

Perhaps this might be significant for a special kind of server where the memory load is brutal, then a minimal performance in a memory kit over another will result in a total overall better performance and real gains.

It does feel like quantity beats quality these days for gaming rigs. I'd rather have 16 GB of "slow" memory over 8 GB of speed demon stuff.

I'd love for that to change, but memory controllers have gotten really good at prefetching and latency across the board is pretty great.

In case you are interested..........

Listed on Amazon --

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600MHz DDR4 16GB - $224.50 - $14.03/GB

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz DDR4 64GB - $606.99 -  $ 9.48/GB

So the price per GB is lower for the 64GB kit.

Still, a lot of $$$.

Most games do not need more than 8GB because the graphics cards and the CPU do a lot of the work.

Also, Speed is relative to the task at hand.

For video intensive applications, CPU memory is not very important.

If, however, you have massive Excel spread sheets with lots of macros, then the CPU memory speed helps.

Also, CPU mem speed helps with multiple threads running at the same time.

The average user will almost never notice the difference.

In case you are interested..........

Listed on Amazon --

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600MHz DDR4 16GB - $224.50 - $14.03/GB

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz DDR4 64GB - $606.99 -  $ 9.48/GB

So the price per GB is lower for the 64GB kit.

Still, a lot of $$$.

Most games do not need more than 8GB because the graphics cards and the CPU do a lot of the work.

Also, Speed is relative to the task at hand.

For video intensive applications, CPU memory is not very important.

If, however, you have massive Excel spread sheets with lots of macros, then the CPU memory speed helps.

Also, CPU mem speed helps with multiple threads running at the same time.

The average user will almost never notice the difference.

Sure, but: https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-64-Internal-HX421C14FBK4/dp/B01D8U29QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471728244&sr=8-1&keywords=64+gb+ddr4

64 GB of 2133 for $285...or 32 GB for $150.

More memory means more things cached with almost always leads to far less stuttering in modern games, not to mention load times end up almost disappearing. :)

I bought two 32GB kits (HyperX) for my X99 system. But I'm not sure how it will ~really~ make a difference in my performance.

This is a good review, and this RAM looks awesome to me. It's too bad that I can't afford it.

I guess for the capacity of 16gb sticks the timings are a little harder to tighten?  16-18-18-36 581 2T at 3200mhz is kind of loose for such an expensive kit.  I'm not saying it's bad but comparatively for the price it seems a bit off the mark.

Edited by xenkw0n