Photo
- - - - -

Are some brands/manufacturers better quality than others?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TechyBadger

TechyBadger

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

I'm going to be building a couple PC's, and I'm wondering what brands make the best products. A lot of people who voice their opinion seem to have a bias based on their one experience or one faulty product and that's it. So I'm curious if there are any proven facts on what brands are better than others, or if a brand is especially good in building mobos (for example), but not so much with PSUs. I know most brands have their good and their bad products, but are there any universally agreed upon standards?

#2 ir_cow

ir_cow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6399 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

Yes there are better brands than others. Build quality and customer services is generally the main factors. Brand A may be better than B but if they are horrible customer services for RMA, than whats the point in getting a product that cant be replaced.

There are some brands that constantly make good products and it doesn't matter which model you get, because its always quality. Than you have brands that are hit or miss per series.

I'm not giving any brand names on purpose because reviews do a better job.

IR Twitter / OCC YouTube Channel / NVIDIA OC Guides; 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080 Ti, 2080

OCC Best AMD Motherboard Picks 2018 / OCC Best Mid ATX Computer Cases 2018

Main Rig: Threadripper 1920X, GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX, NVIDIA RTX 2080, Intel 730(s) 480GB, 32GB [email protected], Seasonic 1000w Plat.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), Thermaltake 750w.

#3 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21620 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:14 AM

I agree with HBC, some manufacturers almost can't make anything but quality while others will have it come and go. It's hard to quantify which makes which because everyone has bad eggs once in a while and many people hold grudges way too much, while others are far too loyal to one brand. You have to be willing to try anything, you sometimes may be surprised the kind of value/quality you can get from certain brands

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO | Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: Patriot/Kingston 16GB 1866mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Sentey Phoenix | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

Rebate Success Thread 2015---RMA Success Thread 2016---GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#4 Nyt

Nyt

Overclocking addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4703 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:56 AM

A fairly long warranty and excellent customer service is normally a good sign towards a good brand. 

Quality with graphics cards can be a bit more subjective, especially with reference boards that are so similar. 
Other parts like power supplies can have a lot more variables that are behind the scenes like performance under load testing, voltage regulation and efficiency etc so its best to check out a few reviews regardless of the brand and its perceived quality.

i7 4770K | ASUS GTX1080Ti Strix

ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Samsung 850 Pro | Corsair H105
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz 4x4Gb | Corsair AX860i
Cooler Master Storm Trooper | Seagate Barracuda 2Tb

#5 phil69

phil69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

Find the products you are considering then check out various sites for the customer reviews and read both the good and the bad for problems and customer service responses.

Sometimes the brands change manufactures in the middle of a product run, for better or worse. It is always important to buy from a company with the best customer service and if possible free return shipping. Also, some products start out with bad reviews, but become great products after a software upgrade.

Good Hunting.

Edited by phil69, 14 August 2016 - 09:00 AM.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, AMD Phenom II X6 1055,
BIOS 1301, Xigmatek Gaia, Corsair 8GB Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1333C7,
MSI R5750 MD1G,
WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata III, Antec P183 Case, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

#6 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 2405 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

Like Nyt_Ryda said read reviews of products before you purchase them, actually read the reviews because I have seen a products on Newegg and Amazon with a 3 out of 5 rating and 90% of the bad reviews were from people giving the products bad reviews because of their own stupidity. Browse forums and see if people are having issues with said product and what kind of issues they are having. 

Intel i7 9700k - ASRock Phantom Gaming SLI/AC - 16GB GSkill RIPJAWS V DDR 3200 - EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Black Edition - Samsumg 850 Evo

sigimage.gif

"My friend's I am here to warn you that should you ever stumble across a website with top notch "content" on the front page that just so happens to be sorted by a rating system, please. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world. DO NOT GO TO THE LAST PAGE! What has been seen, cannot be unseen."

-WARDOZERX

#7 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21620 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Like Nyt_Ryda said read reviews of products before you purchase them, actually read the reviews because I have seen a products on Newegg and Amazon with a 3 out of 5 rating and 90% of the bad reviews were from people giving the products bad reviews because of their own stupidity. Browse forums and see if people are having issues with said product and what kind of issues they are having.

Golden advice, screw e-tailer reviews. But some Amazon reviews are pretty nicely detailed with pics and all

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO | Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: Patriot/Kingston 16GB 1866mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Sentey Phoenix | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

Rebate Success Thread 2015---RMA Success Thread 2016---GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech