How good is my new system....

Assassin X

Where does it BSOD?  You can try pressing F8 during startup until you get to the advanced boot options menu and select Safe Mode to see if that will install.  After you do that your best bet is to simply uninstall your drivers.  If you can get that far see if Windows will start normally and allow you to install the new drivers.  Might have to go back into Safe Mode after uninstalling your drivers to install the new ones for your new motherboard.

There's also a thread in here with different steps you can take to get everything to work with a new motherboard;

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/41725-how-to-change-your-motherboard/

Do you have another Windows key or were you expecting to use the old drive in your new machine?  Once you get a SSD you can also use a program like Macrium Reflect to copy your hard drive to the SSD and start booting windows from the new drive.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arconis backup has a feature in it that will let you clone the os to a new set of hardware, I have never used it but I know it will work, there are some older treads here in the forums about how to do it, not sure if it will work on an upgrade from vista though ?

Tried safe mode but when it loads after it bsods. I also tried windows repair to see if it would see it or ask for basic drivers cd. No luck though. Therepair log said it was driver issues obviously.

If you have it working in your old machine then you won't be able to install drivers for your new motherboard.  Your best bet is uninstalling your old devices from Device Manager, making sure Windows doesn't attempt to install your devices automatically since you'll probably need to restart at least once after uninstalling everything... and Windows will try to install drivers again;

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/82054-turn-off-windows-7-automatic-driver-installation.html

After they're all removed, put the drive in your new computer and see if it boots up.  Then you can re-enable windows driver updates and Windows will probably download most of the ones you need to get going.

There's probably only a couple that are causing the issues.  To be safe I would try this tool first (this is safer since certain devices being uninstalled can cause other issues);

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/device-cleanup-tool-windows

And if you still get a BSOD you can dig in deeper with a tool like this and more easily remove certain devices;

http://lifehacker.com/5254403/device-remover-is-an-absurdly-powerful-device-manager

Not sure if you posted it but what was your old mb and cpu, if you are trying to use the hd that was in an amd system to an intel mb and cpu especially a very old one you might be out of luck, it may be worth your while just to reload windows.

Here is another option, why don't you use the old mb to boot the hd, then partition the hd, put it in the new system and reinstall windows to the new partition, that way all your data (not programs ) will be still on the old partition. The programs will be there but you won't be able to access them .

Sorry I missed the other posts. Got a new HD and installed Win 7. Turns out most of the old programs worked fine without reinstallation! Though this time I am keeping the Win 7 HD with not much on it so I don't lost much if it should die and what not.