Problems running DOOM

damian

I just bought the game and didn't think twice about checking if my pc can handle it. It's been a while since I ran into any gaming issues so I'm not used to checking beforehand.

I just pressed play and it took like 10 minutes to load up and get to the main menu (although by default it had all the settings on high so maybe thats why). I tried running on medium and i was getting like 15-17FPS and running on low only got me to around 20-24FPS. 

I noticed the min requirements are:

• 64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8.1.
  • Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better / AMD FX-8320.
  • 8 GB RAM.
  • Nvidia GTX 670 2GB/ AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB VRAM)
  • 6GB HDD space.
  • Steam account.
  • High speed internet connection

And my specs are:

Intel i5 2500k 3.7ghz

8GB DDR3 G.Skill 800mhz 11-11-11-28
500gb hdd
GTX 460 (core=405mhz, shader=810mhz, memory=1800mhz...memory=768mb GDDR5)

I tried running cpuz since i forgot what gpu i was running and it was showing the intel graphics my mobo uses so i dont know whats up with that (Currently updating my drivers, been a while since i did that!) Not sure if new drivers will help with the FPS though. 

Do you think i can get by if i overclock the cpu/gpu/ram? :)

Edited by damian

Sorry to say your problem is the 768 mb memory on your video card, how do I know ? I had the exact same card and had the same problems with the newer games, once I upgraded to the 660 with 2gb of ram, (still far from a high end card ) the newer games ran fine. The rest of your rig is more than good, but time to upgrade the video, darn, I loved my 460, served me well for a long time ! :no:

Edited by SpikeSoprano

damn..

now it just doesn't seem worth the 37 i paid for DOOM lol

i don't know what other game i would be this excited for in the near future. i really only just play quake live and DOD:s (hardly play DOD:s at that)

Edited by damian

i remember the 460 being one of those awesome bank for your buck types cards. Which card is like that nowadays? ATI/AMD or nVidia

Probably the GTX 960, with prices as they are now.

Yeah I swapped out a GTX 750 Ti for a GTX 960. The 960 is basically the performance of a GTX 680/770. You could jump on ebay and pick up one of those cards for less than $100. Nvm, it looks like people realized those cards are still good for gaming. So your best bet is to pick up a GTX 960 for $150 or switch to AMD when the 400 series comes out.

In its day the 460 was pretty strong. Youhave to realize that that time has come and gone. You are running graphics hardware that is at the least 4 generations older than current technology. A move up to a GTX 760 or 960 would be best and allow you to play Doom at 1080p. 

yeah i get that. its just been a while since i played any pc games so i didn't double check to see if my pc could handle it since its been a while since i've done that..my mistake there.

thanks guys i'll see if i can find a 960 on the cheap.

Gotta agree with all of the above, for a good 1080 res framerate the 960 or the new amd 480 will be the best bang for buck card !

thanks! i got a 1680x1050 viewsonic 125hz monitor so i'll see if i can find something good!