Frequent Freeze / Crash

I put screws in an intel heatsink once and it worked fine, I used plastic screws and nuts on it, but they have to be the proper lenght so they don't protrude too far threw the back of the mb and just tighten them enough to keep the heatsink snug, don't over tighten them. It's a pita but it worked fine if your not oc'ing the cpu.

I put screws in an intel heatsink once and it worked fine, I used plastic screws and nuts on it, but they have to be the proper lenght so they don't protrude too far threw the back of the mb and just tighten them enough to keep the heatsink snug, don't over tighten them. It's a pita but it worked fine if your not oc'ing the cpu.

Do you recall what size of screws you used? I can't find any that fit through the mobo mounting holes.

Sorry, don't remember and sold that pc , but I got them at the local homedepot and installed the heatsink/fan combo with the mb out of the case and then I just cut off the part of the screw that protruded too far out the back of the mb. The plastic was easy to snip off , but like I said it was still a pain in the butt.

• 2 weeks later...

Took everything apart and the HSF seems to be attached fine. Noticed that the entire inside of the rig is rather warn, almost hot. The HS is also warmer than I like. hmm

If I have to replace the HSF again I want ot get something with a better mounting system.

Suggestions on the front?

cpuz.png

• 3 weeks later...

The Mobo manages the OC. Hey it's better than stock right? See pics regarding space issues. The huge cooler Master pictures will not fit because the first ram stick is in its way. I'm kind of at a loss as to what hsf I should use if that big cooler Master won't fit. I could try running a pelter. Or water cooling that I can't afford. lol

20160728_190216.jpg

20160728_183644.jpg

20160728_183606.jpg

You're running a 4.6 GHz overclock with THAT cooler?  Ouch.  Drop back to stock, I bet it's throttling like crazy!

I've got to say, I would be surprised if you aren't right about throttling. My wife's 4770K OCed to 4.2 @1.3v all cores loads around 82C with the Colermaster Hyper 212 Evo so if it's not throttling with the smaller cooler with higher voltage and clocks I would be REALLY surprised. 

I would really look into what it's running at a keep it from throttling even if you *gasp* need to run a little slower.  

With your limited pace it's hard to say what you're best option would be, measuring and getting a good 120mm tower type cooler could be good, though most of the "good" ones aren't cheap. 120mm closed loop WC would be an option, but not any better than a good tower cooler overall and still $50-60.  240mm CLC would be OK, but I don't see room for it in that case :-\ not to mention the $100ish price tag.

That case seems pretty cramped, and I doubt the front fan is doing much good with all the wiring blocking it, maybe for now you should run ir at stock or do a manual oc of about 4.2 to see if that helps, usually if you let the mb software oc it you will give too much voltage to the cpu making it run hotter and possibly shorten the life span.