296 Mbs down. I like

I am supposed to get a house call from comcast tomorrow to sort out my slow speed problems. Its strange that I was getting close to 300 and now I get less than 100. One of the chat techs did a refresh or something that seemed to help temporally. I suppose I could just shove my expectations, downgrade to something slower (the 25 Mbs package worked flawlessly) and live with it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay 86/month for 14/1...I can upgrade to 21/1 but that requires a new modem and a price hike up to around 100/month...no other service around :(

5377270775.png

Its so bad that speedtest refers to it as slower rather than faster lol

Make sure your router or modem doesn't have "Media Prioritization" or preferred devices set up. I have a Linksys AC1600 router that killed my speeds down from ~225-230mb all the way down to ~100-110mb. Disabled the "Media Prioritization" and it went right back to 225. Got a relatively cheap set of those gigabit Ethernet over AC adapters and now I can have a full speed Ethernet port anywhere in my house, which I use in the living room to not have to stream over WiFi.

Not to brag(but yea, I'm bragging :P), but I pay $50/mo for 200mb that always gives me at least 220 down :D. This is just now with Playstation Vue streaming live TV in the living room. No cable or house phone anymore - just use PS Vue middle package of 70+ channels for $35/mo, and HBO Go $15/mo(just for GoT then I cancel it!). Saves a bunch of money a month and I don't miss it one bit!!!

5377334755.png

Edited by Puck

I was going to make a new topic but check this out.

It seems that system specs matter for internet speed.

Comcast says: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service/

Note that the highert tiers want an i5..

On my main rig:

1307279464.png

Linux Rig:

-Computer-

Processor : 8x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz

Memory : 16432MB (1609MB used)

Operating System : Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

User Name : jeff (Jeff)

Date/Time : Fri 03 Jun 2016 04:57:13 PM PDT

1307275124.png

And for shits and grins The Nexus 7 2013 running over 802.11a

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1977857956

I think thats bogus, I don't see the system specs making one bit of difference except for the ethernet port speed or wifi card. Is your Linux rig using wifi or hardwired?

I know many speed tests sites will give an warning about the CPU not being able to keep up with my parent's connection and in the case of my old J1900 based server that was there it would peg one core @ 100% while running then.

Do you know what the Ethernet port is? If its an old 10/100 port you will only get ~80Mbps max no matter what the ISP speed is.

It wont be the cable, I get within .3 Mbps going from an ancient Cat5, to Cat5e, to Cat6 back to back...all exactly the same speed.

Nice! My home ISP just recently started offering 1Gb/25Mb for $90/month. Sooooo tempting but I don't really have a need to justify the cost (100Mb/25Mb now for $50). Personally if I was to upgrade due to work from home situations I would prefer to go with the 200Mb/200Mb business line for $200/month. I know it is a lot more expensive but the much higher upload speed is more practical for my uses. *oooh thought* I wonder if I can get work to comp it. :D