Which sound card should I buy?

AllYourF0rt

Creative cards were notorious for poor driver support when things moved to Windows 7. It was actually better to use custom drivers since they had the support instead of the official ones from Creative, which didn't seem to drop hardly at all. Other cards using the C-Media audio processor didn't have that issue and were the way to go (still is for me). If the only experience was Creative, it's no surprise you feel that way about sound cards, since Creative did nothing to help its image for a long time. Things are better now, but some are still jaded by what happened. For me, I always used Creative, but then switched to ASUS (first Auzentech, but now they're gone), and haven't looked back.

I ordered the STX 2 this morning. Going to be here Friday! Can't wait to see how much better my DT's will sound with this sucker. I also needed to buy a keyboard. The one I had was super cheap. Never buy Gamedias. The keys just stopped working. So I got the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth 2014!

Edited by AllYourF0rt

So I received the STX 2 yesterday. The packaging is top notch. The plastic clam shell keeps the card very secure. Problem is that my HSF for CPU is 140mm and over hangs the top PCIe slot. I have my GPU in slot three which covers the PCIe1x slot. So I have to wait till Tuesday to get the Noctua U12s in..sigh. Then I can put the GPU in slot 1 and install the sound card. I also bought the new Doom but want to wait to play it till I get the good sound going eheh. Since I have this sound card it pretty much eliminates doing SLi now. I'm thinking about waiting till the EVGA 1080 Classified comes out and just running a single card setup for good. Which means I could have saved money on the PSU...

Edited by AllYourF0rt

I have a Sound Blaster XFi for around 8-9 years and it sounds really nice. 

Whenever I go buy something I see the brands and their specializations. Sound Blaster is old known for making sound devices. ASUS Is great but they have huge variety so we can say SB is more specialized and must have pretty much more experience on that field. That's my only judgment. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Creative cards were notorious for poor driver support when things moved to Windows 7. It was actually better to use custom drivers since they had the support instead of the official ones from Creative, which didn't seem to drop hardly at all. Other cards using the C-Media audio processor didn't have that issue and were the way to go (still is for me). If the only experience was Creative, it's no surprise you feel that way about sound cards, since Creative did nothing to help its image for a long time. Things are better now, but some are still jaded by what happened. For me, I always used Creative, but then switched to ASUS (first Auzentech, but now they're gone), and haven't looked back.

yeah ever since my Audigy 2 became useless when Vista came out, I just use onboard audio and haven't looked back. Never again will I drop $200 for a sound card when high-end onboard sounds just as good. Plus its supported FOREVER.

You need headphones that cost over $200 to even hear the difference even in the lower end on-board audio setups. No point in spending unnecessary money.

• 1 month later...

I recommend you not waste money on a sound card

how is your motherboard not cutting it?

do you have spdif or hdmi?

I recommend you get a nice external amplifier

and feed it with HDMI between your computer and monitor and let the amplifier decode it

or use spdif out from your motherboard to your amp

if a large amplifier is really impractical

these little things are cute

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00CP53ML2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469233866&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+sound+card+usb

and they have a huge benefit

you can take it out your compute and use it with your laptop on the go

• 1 year later...