What SSD to get and how to migrate to the new one

N.E.A

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Just curious. Were you able to do what you were trying to do? I've tried to clone my smaller sad to a large one and it reduced the larger one to the size of the smaller one.

Just curious. Were you able to do what you were trying to do? I've tried to clone my smaller sad to a large one and it reduced the larger one to the size of the smaller one.

What happened is you cloned the metadata of the old disk, which describes the smaller filesystem. You should be able to just extend it. What os are you on?

So yeah, i think you should just be able to extend it in disk management.., unless theyve changed it in win10.

Edit: diskpart should also let you extend it.

Edited by scr4wl

It's a command line tool.

From https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771473%28v=ws.11%29.aspx:

Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type extend [size=<size>]. This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Does disk management not let you do it?

Edit: You'll want to swap out that last command for "extend filesystem", which should do the trick.

Edited by scr4wl

I dont think I will be buying a sandisk again, had a 500gb on my older main rig that did not even make it out of warranty. I order the samsung to replace it while I waited on them to send me a replacement. I ended up giving the sandisk to friend to put in his laptop... On my newer rig went with intel 750

Edit: Just looked at the RMA info 07/30/16 it was the ultra II 480gb that died.. Its probably just my luck but I hope this isnt an indication of reliability of all SSD..

Edited by road-runner

Edit: Just looked at the RMA info 07/30/16 it was the ultra II 480gb that died.. Its probably just my luck but I hope this isnt an indication of reliability of all SSD..

Not really, I install on average ~2 SSDs per month in customer PCs over the last three years combined with my purchasing of many SSDs for home and family use (many of the "cheap" "unreliable" brands) and SO FAR, not a single hardware failure. I DID have one Crucial M4 drive need a firmware update because the drive would disappear in BIOS and all after a few weeks of uptime, but it's going strong a year later in the laptop I'm typing on. 

Obviously they don't have a 100% reliability rate, (I've just been lucky) but unless you're doing something crazy with them it seems uncommon for them to fail compared to hard drives.  

I still have the pair of OCZ Vertex drives I bought in 2009...and they were heralded as unreliable.

Generally SSDs seem to outlast their usefulness before they die.