Corsair 900d with 5 radiators

Nice!  I'm running my W3680 at 4.2ghz 28*150 @ 1.28v.  The W3680 and 980x are essentially the same chip.  1800mhz 8-9-8-24.

You cant buy and good ddr3 ram anymore with good timings,  the old ram i had was 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 6*2GB that would overclock great but i needed more then 12GB.   The few kits i could find were 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 6*4GB or the kit i bought 2133Mhz 11-13-13-31 which is now running at 1840Mhz 10-11-11-24.

Ive now managed to get the a 4.45Ghz 29*153 @ 1.318v,  with the jump from 152 to 153 i had to bump the ram to a CL10.    Cl9 must have been really close to failing on 152 block, everything seemed just slightly sluggish.  Once i moved to block 153 and cl10 everything became very snappy.

So far im very happy with the 980x it seems to be happy with a 4.45Ghz OC and with a 50% load bounced around 45-51*c will have to see if i can match my 950's 4.62Ghz OC

RAM prices in general have just gone through the roof and left a lot of older DDR3 modules out of stock.  I got lucky and picked up 4gb sticks of KLEVV Genuine memory when Newegg was trying to clear them out.  I also have some 8gb sticks of the Crucial Low Profile/Low Voltage memory that overclocks great... Honestly this is the best RAM you can get for X58;

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile - BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0

Comes in 1x8gb, 2x8gb and 4x8gb options but if you can find any of these for a decent price they're a great buy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the board maxes out at 24gb so im not sure if it would take 3x8GB or has to be 6x4GB,  ether way to get new Crucial ram would be $260 and this computer just isn't worth it.   If im going to drop anymore money on it it will be to replace the 670's with 970's since the waterblocks will fit both.

That's not actually true.  There were no 8GB dimms when these boards were made but they do in fact support 48gb with 6x8gb sticks.  Plenty of people have tested this as well :)

And yes, buying brand new memory, even 3x8gb sticks can get pretty expensive right now.  I did however find this listing on ebay selling 4 of these sticks individually at 50$ a piece but accepting offers, might be able to get 3 for 130 or 140 for 24gb's;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-Ballistix-Tactical-LP-8GB-DDR3-1600/132145308671

Just saying, if you look you can still find some nice DDR3 memory online.

I'm running 6x4gb right now but you can actually overclock the memory higher and with tighter timings on these boards if you only populate 3 slots instead of 6.

Edited by xenkw0n

lol  once again my X58 board is not like the rest of them,  i cant even get a xeon to post on it.

Having some issues with the new ram and OC'ing  ended up moving down to 28x159 4.46Ghz in turn dropping my ram down to 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24.  And according to CPU-z for 1600Mhz they should be running at 11-11-11-52 :doh:  Ive never heard of a tRAS 52 before.

The only issue i have with that ram is the color, everything on my build is black and red.

That really is strange, the Rampage III Extreme is a gen2 x58 board and one of ASUS' top of the line models, it has more features than any of the X58 boards I've used (ASUS P6T, ASUS P6T WS Pro, ASUS P6X58D-E) and they've all ran Xeon's + 8gb dimm's without issue.  I remember the Rampage II Extreme having 2 Bios chips, maybe one doesn't have the updated Bios and that's what's being used by default?

And yes, JEDEC standard is CL11 for 1600mhz DDR3 - That doesn't necessarily mean what your memory is rated to run at.

EDIT:: Yea I just looked and the Rampage III Extreme (RIIIE) has dual bios just like the RIIE - The R3E even has a Bios switch instead of just a jumper (R2E).

Edited by xenkw0n

• 4 weeks later...

What up fellas? Man need your help again. I finally upgraded to the GTX 1080TI(SLI). Haven't installed them yet waiting for the EK waterblocks. So do you think a Phys X card is worth it? I have read many things online and they are "some say yes and some say no". Is there any one using a Phys X card that can tell me what advantages (if any) there are to using one.

Not at all anymore.  You're talking about 2 top of the line current generation cards.  No way you'll see a benefit from the very limited games that even use it.

• 1 month later...

Hey fellas need major help. So now my computer  is just randomly crashing. Sometimes it will in 10 minutes and sometimes i can play hours on end. So when this happens the computer stay running but the screen goes black. Under Event Viewer i see a 41 Kernal-Power. I am not overclocked any more. Has anyone experienced this or know whats wrong? Or can guide me in the right direction to a solution?

It SOUNDS similar to the issues I have when my memory OC isn't stable on the main rig, considering "official" memory support on your CPU is 2133 AND your running with 64GB, if you're still at 3000 I would try dropping it down a bit to see if that's the cause.  I know 3000 is where I start to have minor issues if I'm not careful with other settings on my rig and that's with only 32GB (4 x 8GB). Granted every setup is different and I would only start there based on my similar experience at and above 3000.

41 Kernel-Power is just that the system rebooted without proper shutdown, so whatever is going on is acting like you hitting the reset switch as far as the OS can tell.

There's a lot more it COULD be from some application instability to bad PSU to an electrical short somewhere (I'm sure you have but double check for any leaks in your cooling) to you somehow actually hitting the reset button (I've seen people do it). Anyway, that's a few places to start looking if you haven't already.

Edited by cchalogamer

Hey cchhalogamer. Many thanks for the info. I was overclocked, now all stock speeds.  CPU 3.0. RAM is running 2133 mhz. GPUs stock speed. Ha for sure no water leaks. I am gonna go for the throat and get a new PSU. Will keep you guys updated.