Corsair 900d with 5 radiators

Came to the party a little late..... sorry    So I did my computer in PTEG from XSPC and also bought their PTEG tube kit, so cutter, trimmer, bender and silicon insert.   By default im an industrial maintenance technician with an electrical background so bending conduit comes as a second nature for me.   Once I figured out the take up of the bender bending the PTEG was easy.   In all I only scrapped out about a 1' section and it was to short to begin with, but I was trying to figure out how to make a multiple bend pipe from the radiator to pump with the bender i had since its not like a normal conduit bender.

Although it looks like the tubes are leaning they are not, no mater how i take the picture some of the tubes just dont look straight.  everything is level and parallel.

Parts

Asus rampage 3 extreme board

i7 975

Mushkin 12GB ram

4 EVGA GTX 670 superclock+

Creative Sound blasterX G5 external sound card

EVGA 1600W G2 PSU

Danger Den motherboard block

EK 970 waterblocks

EK quad series/parallel block

XSPC D5 Photon Reservoir/Pump Combo, 270mm

XSPC Raystorm Pro

XSPC ECX Ultra Concentrate Coolant, Blood Red ( 2 bottles)

XSPC compression fittings

XSPC 480mm and 360mm RX series

11 corsair sp120 fans

Thermaltake CORE P5 case

2 liters distilled water

silver kill coil.

LOVE X58.  With that monster of a machine why not throw in a 6 core Xeon chip?  I have a W3680 in my X58 rig overclocked to 4.2ghz on 1.27v and it doesn't even crack 60c in Prime95 and that's only using air cooling (Noctua NH-U14S).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha I am finally up and running. I have a question. I am using the 6800k cpu. 2 cores are always running 20 degrees hotter than the rest at idle and under load. Is this just the design of the cpu or do I need to change something?

You might just have a bad reading.  Have you tried different software to check temperatures?  I use RealTemp if I want to get specific temperature readings and my 6800k typically has the cores run within ~5c of each other, max.  Any pictures of the finished build?

Came to the party a little late..... sorry    So I did my computer in PTEG from XSPC and also bought their PTEG tube kit, so cutter, trimmer, bender and silicon insert.   By default im an industrial maintenance technician with an electrical background so bending conduit comes as a second nature for me.   Once I figured out the take up of the bender bending the PTEG was easy.   In all I only scrapped out about a 1' section and it was to short to begin with, but I was trying to figure out how to make a multiple bend pipe from the radiator to pump with the bender i had since its not like a normal conduit bender.

Although it looks like the tubes are leaning they are not, no mater how i take the picture some of the tubes just dont look straight.  everything is level and parallel.

Parts

Asus rampage 3 extreme board

i7 975

Mushkin 12GB ram

4 EVGA GTX 670 superclock+

Creative Sound blasterX G5 external sound card

EVGA 1600W G2 PSU

Danger Den motherboard block

EK 970 waterblocks

EK quad series/parallel block

XSPC D5 Photon Reservoir/Pump Combo, 270mm

XSPC Raystorm Pro

XSPC ECX Ultra Concentrate Coolant, Blood Red ( 2 bottles)

XSPC compression fittings

XSPC 480mm and 360mm RX series

11 corsair sp120 fans

Thermaltake CORE P5 case

2 liters distilled water

silver kill coil.

LOVE X58.  With that monster of a machine why not throw in a 6 core Xeon chip?  I have a W3680 in my X58 rig overclocked to 4.2ghz on 1.27v and it doesn't even crack 60c in Prime95 and that's only using air cooling (Noctua NH-U14S).

I tried, have a x5675 sitting on my desk but it wouldn't boot with it in.  Checked the CPU list and says it doesn't support any xeons :(

Edited by olokul

Whats up xenkw0n? I am using Coretemp for monitoring. Yeah I have pics will post some later. ha my braided power supply cables didnt come out so clean. Will be ordering some professionally done ones soon.

Ha I am finally up and running. I have a question. I am using the 6800k cpu. 2 cores are always running 20 degrees hotter than the rest at idle and under load. Is this just the design of the cpu or do I need to change something?

You might just have a bad reading.  Have you tried different software to check temperatures?  I use RealTemp if I want to get specific temperature readings and my 6800k typically has the cores run within ~5c of each other, max.  Any pictures of the finished build?

I tried, have a x5675 sitting on my desk but it wouldn't boot with it in.  Checked the CPU list and says it doesn't support any xeons :(

ALL ASUS and Gigabyte X58 boards support the 32nm Xeon's as long as you have the most recent BIOS update. EVGA Boards from the 758 rev.2 and newer also support them. A handful of the MSI boards do as well.

If you have the latest BIOS then I would say the chip is bad. I even had a X5670 running in an ASUS P6T, one of the more base model X58 boards. Right now I'm running the W3680 in an ASUS P6X58D-E.

ALL ASUS and Gigabyte X58 boards support the 32nm Xeon's as long as you have the most recent BIOS update. EVGA Boards from the 758 rev.2 and newer also support them. A handful of the MSI boards do as well.

If you have the latest BIOS then I would say the chip is bad. I even had a X5670 running in an ASUS P6T, one of the more base model X58 boards. Right now I'm running the W3680 in an ASUS P6X58D-E.

Maybe one day when i drain the loop i might try another Xeon.  But this does office work, and when i say office work is more like outlook some internet pages and remote desktops to the servers, so its not like im stressing this thing at all. I do run 4 monitors so i just hooked a monitor up to each graphics card :D  I had it doing some F@H before i got it fully loaded with all my work stuff, with all 4 GPU's running was putting out just about as much as my single 980 in points

Maybe one day when i drain the loop i might try another Xeon.  But this does office work, and when i say office work is more like outlook some internet pages and remote desktops to the servers, so its not like im stressing this thing at all. I do run 4 monitors so i just hooked a monitor up to each graphics card :D  I had it doing some F@H before i got it fully loaded with all my work stuff, with all 4 GPU's running was putting out just about as much as my single 980 in points

Got it. One of the biggest reasons I like these chips more than their 45nm counterparts is the fact that they run SIGNIFICANTLY cooler. And, you know, having a 6 core chip in an 8 year old system is just plain cool (even more so because of how cheap they are - $50 for an X5650?).

I'm basically modding a computer case to make a shrine for my X58 system. I want to keep it forever :-P

Edited by xenkw0n

Quick thought, did you set your bios back to default before trying to put the chip in? The Xeon X56xx series chips can only use up to x10 memory multiplier... So if your bclk is the default 133, you can only set your memory to 1333mhz. bclk 160 = 1600mhz. bclk 200 = x8 memory multiplier = 1600mhz, etc...

It could have been that it sat laying around in my room for 5 years.   I removed the 950 that was in it and put the 5675 in, it would boot but nothing would come up on the screen.  Hit the bios rest button a few times but never worked.    Drained the loop put the 975 in and still had to smack it around a few times before the screen would show up, few bios resets and hard button resets.

Maybe in 6-12 months when i do a coolant flush i might retry a different xeon, two of the pads on this one looked a little sketchy and i thought that might have caused the issue.

With 11 corsair SP120 fans running on silent, have a 12dc motor controller running all of them, I can hear the pump over them.  the GPUs run at 28-30*c and the cpu with an average of 15% usage runs at 35-40*c.  At full load on all 4 GPUs temps hovered around 40*c and cpu at 50*c that was running F@H 24/7 for about 2 weeks straight.  So a single loop with stacked radiators in silent mode it does really well.

Got it. I don't think any of these boards automatically worked with the 32nm Xeon's UNTIL they have the latest BIOS loaded. The reset should have worked. But yea, it's been confirmed from multiple people that all of the ASUS X58 boards support these chips.

There's a post on OCNet dedicated to X58 Xeon's that's hundreds of pages long. A lot of good material in there.

• 1 month later...

Got it. I don't think any of these boards automatically worked with the 32nm Xeon's UNTIL they have the latest BIOS loaded. The reset should have worked. But yea, it's been confirmed from multiple people that all of the ASUS X58 boards support these chips.

There's a post on OCNet dedicated to X58 Xeon's that's hundreds of pages long. A lot of good material in there.

Well did a little work on the computer this week.  was able to push the 975 to 4.45Ghz without really doing much,  just through some settings at it and it worked not my normal OC'ing procedure but it worked.   Today i updated the bios to the newest on Asus webpage and ordered a X5690 so will see if i can get that thing working next weekend.

For AutoCAD i had to run the cards in a 3-way sli top card running 2 monitors and the 4th card running the other 2 monitors.   Now that the new Ti cards are coming out i might look at picking up some 970's as they will fit the waterblocks i already have :)

You have a really nice chip to reach 4.45ghz on a 975. What voltage is that requiring? The X5690 should be a beast but honestly between an X5670, X5675, X5680, X5690, W3680, W3690 they all overclock to almost identical spots. X5675 are newer models if you can't tell the manufacture date from the Ebay listings.

I personally grabbed a W3680 for the unlocked multiplier and so I could run x12 memory multiplier vs. being limited to x10 on the X56xx series Xeons vs. W36xx series Xeons. Can do 150bclk and use 1800mhz RAM this way :)